Carbonation problem

So does a California Common take longer to carbonate than an Ale or some other beer? I bottled the CC and a wheat beer last Friday. I sampled a bottle of each today and the wheat is carbed nicely but the CC is flat as a board.

I don’t think it was capping problem and both were sitting at 65 in the basement.

Thanks.

what did you prime with? How did you prime/bottle? How many did you try that weren’t carbed? Try moving them to a warmer area and swirl them to suspend the yeast.

Were they brewed on the same day?

The Cal Common being a lager beer, if stored cold could have more of the yeast drop out then the wheat beer.

Every day, tip them upside down and give them a little shake. Bring them to a warmer room if you can.

Prime example of using a soda bottle for each batch. You don’t need to open a bottle to see if it’s carbonated. :wink:

[quote=“Nighthawk”]

Prime example of using a soda bottle for each batch. You don’t need to open a bottle to see if it’s carbonated. :wink: [/quote]

You do 1 plastic bottle with each batch or you put all of your beer in plastic bottles?

Just one bottle, 16/20oz is fine. Squeeze the air out and cap it. It will expand when the CO2 is produced.

Unless you can plan ahead. Then you could fill some 1l/2l bottles for camping trips or poker night.

brewed the same weekend and bottled the same weekend. (not the SAME weekend)

boiled some water, let it cool and dissolved the priming sugar, mixed it in the bottling bucket with a slight stir.

I’ve only tried two. The first one was a twist off bottle that I didn’t know was in there, but the second was not. They’ve only been bottled since Friday so it may be early but the wheat beer is highly carbed already.

Is it possible all of the yeast was dead by the time I bottled?

[quote=“mojoman67”]

Is it possible all of the yeast was dead by the time I bottled?[/quote]

No.

How long were they in the fermenter?

You had the Cal Common at a colder temp?

CC:

• brewed on 4/7
  • secondary on 4/13
  • bottled on 4/28

Wheat:

• brewed on 4/9
  • left in primary
  • bottled on 4/28

both have been in 65 degree temp since primary.

Those bottles might need a warmer area. It is also likely that the priming sugar wasn’t mixed enough. This is common if you added it to the bottling bucket after adding the beer. It can be difficult to get it stirred in with a ‘slight stir.’ Next time add your priming solution to the bucket then rack on top of it. Try to take your shipon tube and get the beer to swirl around the bucket as you transfer (so it is stirring itself). This will ensure that the solution is mixed properly.