carbonation problem

so my first beer has been in the bottles for a few weeks now, but when i crack one open and pour it, i get very little carbonation. would it help if i take each bottle and shake it a bit to build more pressure? im not saying its undrinkable, but i expected more from this…
any help is appreciated!
ca7

What temp are you storing at?

high 60’s

Might just need to be moved to a warmer place.
How much priming sugar did you use?
How long are you considering to be a few weeks?

its been two weeks last thursday. i might try moving it to a warmer place like you suggested…

Try giving each bottle a shake 2 times a day to mix the yeast up.

Also bottle a soda bottle with each batch so you can see the co2 being produced.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]

Also bottle a soda bottle with each batch so you can see the co2 being produced.[/quote]

This sounds interesting, can you explain further?

[quote=“Jonny”][quote=“Nighthawk”]

Also bottle a soda bottle with each batch so you can see the co2 being produced.[/quote]

This sounds interesting, can you explain further?[/quote]

When bottling, I use a 20oz soda bottle, when it carbonates the bottle becomes hard it’s easy to tell when the rest of your beers should be done in glass bottles. Some brewers squeeze some of the air out of the botttle before capping and when the bottle expands it is carbed.

[quote=“mainemike68”][quote=“Jonny”][quote=“Nighthawk”]

This sounds interesting, can you explain further?[/quote]

When bottling, I use a 20oz soda bottle, when it carbonates the bottle becomes hard it’s easy to tell when the rest of your beers should be done in glass bottles. Some brewers squeeze some of the air out of the botttle before capping and when the bottle expands it is carbed.[/quote]

Dear God, that’s a fantastic idea. I can’t believe I never thought of that. Thanks!

Mike answered the question already. Here is my take.

I squeeze the air out of the bottle and then screw the cap on.

If you can plan ahead, this makes for safe travels to the park (if they are alcohol friendly) and camping trips. No worries of broken galss. It’s also good for poker/NASCAR/NCAA parties.

Use any size that you find convenient. 16oz up to 2l.

An extra bottle is also handy for the last bit of beer in to bottling bucket.

I did this yesterday as well to gauge… now in retrospect im hoping that all my priming sugar got mixed in well…do you stir it? i just thought you added it first and the swirling action from the siphon mixed it all around good enough … oh dear…

I have found there to be no variation in time to carb or in the quality or level of carbonation when I gently stir the priming/beer mixture in my bottling bucket vs. when I do not. In other words…I think the “swirling” action as you put it usually does the trick.

As long as you sanitize well, I think giving a gentle stir can’t hurt, might help, but is probably not a big deal one way or the other.

Interested to hear what others think.

[quote=“HaleBrewer”]I have found there to be no variation in time to carb or in the quality or level of carbonation when I gently stir the priming/beer mixture in my bottling bucket vs. when I do not. In other words…I think the “swirling” action as you put it usually does the trick.

As long as you sanitize well, I think giving a gentle stir can’t hurt, might help, but is probably not a big deal one way or the other.

Interested to hear what others think.[/quote]

Ditto this was the impression i was under as well … I did notice that my first pull wort sample from the bottling bucket was not was sweet as the last 1/2 bottle poured…

sorry to slightly hijack carry on :slight_smile: