Carbonation help!

I bottled my Imperial IPA 7 days ago. I used my regular 5oz. of priming sugar in 1 cup of water. Boiled for 2 minutes, let sit and pitched into my bottling bucket before siphoning my beer into the bucket. I tried 2 of my beers today and got a really small “tiss” sound and there was no carbonation. I’m afraid that all of my beers will be like this. Is there anything I can do at this point to fix it? Maybe just the few that I tried didn’t carb well?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

7 days isn’t long enough. Especially for a iipa. Rule of thumb is AT LEAST 2 weeks. Sometimes longer for big beers

Give it a couple more weeks

Wait 3 weeks.

In the mean time, you could transfer one bottle to a 7oz “pony” soda bottle. Squeeze the bottle until the liquid is to the top. Then screw the cap back on. The bottle will expand as CO2 is formed.

With future beers, bottle one soda bottle so you don’t wonder what is happening inside the glass ones.

You can also help the beer carbonate by shaking the bottles each day. Keeps the yeast in suspension.

Awesome advice guys. Thanks!

Update:

I tried it again tonight. It’s been 2 weeks now and it’s carbonated pretty well. It smells and tastes very sweet though. Could that be because it’s not finished yet?

What was your final gravity?

Correct. The amount of sugar you use to carbonate is not going to cause the beer to taste sweet. That is going to depend on the FG. You did have the same FG over 2 or more days? If not, you could have bottle bombs on your hands.

Correct. The amount of sugar you use to carbonate is not going to cause the beer to taste sweet. That is going to depend on the FG. You did have the same FG over 2 or more days? If not, you could have bottle bombs on your hands.[/quote]

With bigger beers like an Imperial IPA. I tend to not only look if the FG did not change for 2 or more days, I also look at Apparant Attenuation to make sure my FG is about where I would expect with the yeast I am using. I wouldnt let a high FG go unnoticed because its been 2 or more days without change.

Just my thoughts.

My final gravity was 1.022. It stayed at that gravity for 4 days. I used hopville.com to create my recipe and my OG and FG were right where they were supposed to be.