Carbon buildup on kettle

My burner as of late has been putting some carbon (blackish deposits) onto my kettle and water pots. They are stainless. Some of it wipes off on your hand but it’s pretty dark. Any idea how to clean the bottoms of the kettles? Again, this is on the outside of the pot not the inside. Thanks!

Barkeeper’s Friend. Available in the grocery stores.

An old trick is to wipe some liquid dish soap (dawn seems to be recommended) on the pot before use. Soot wipes off easily then.

+1 Works great inside and out. I recently found a liquid version of Barkeepers Friend and I think it’s a little better.

BKF without a doubt. Also if you are getting sooty deposits, it means your flame is not burning clean. Check your air mixture on the burner. You should not have any yellow flames.

+3 on the BKF

I had the same thing happening. It’s not the air mix you just need to take the burner apart and clean.
It solved my problem.

[quote=“wmcone”]I had the same thing happening. It’s not the air mix you just need to take the burner apart and clean.
It solved my problem.[/quote]

+1. Hadn’t taken my burner apart in a long time and it really needed a good cleaning, lot of rust and scale had built up and was affecting performance. Helped a bunch.

[quote=“Brewbeer22”][quote=“wmcone”]I had the same thing happening. It’s not the air mix you just need to take the burner apart and clean.
It solved my problem.[/quote]

+1. Hadn’t taken my burner apart in a long time and it really needed a good cleaning, lot of rust and scale had built up and was affecting performance. Helped a bunch.[/quote]

How would one take that apart? I have just a turkey fryer. Is it easy to do or tough?

Usually you can just blast it with compressed air. Depending on your burner, you mighy be able to hit it with pipe cleaners to remove some flaky rust.

My burner has a screw in the middle. Compressed air and a piece of wire to poke at the rust inside will also work if you can’t get the screw off.

Try a soaking in Oxi/PBW to get things out of it.