Carafa III sub

I brewed NB’s recipe for Schwarzbier yesterday, but realized that I only had a tiny bit of Carafa II instead of the Carafa III they called for. I ended up making up the difference with Roasted Barley vs Patent Black malt because it tasted less bitter to me.

I realize this will be a little more bitter than it should be, but what should I have done?

Maybe post the amounts you subbed, people would be able to help a little better.

The original recipe called for 8 oz of Caramunich III and I only had 7.5 oz - so no big deal

Original recipe called for 8 oz of Carafa III but I had none, so I subbed all of the Carafa II I had at 2.6 oz.
I then used 6.2 oz of Roasted Barley as I only had that or Patent Black Malt.

The Roasted Barley tasted less bitter to me.

Not that you likely had it on hand but Briess Midnight Wheat is debittered like Carafa III I think and is really dark. I’ve used that before for coloring.

So I wanted something to give it color but no other “properties” ? How much bitterness will my Roasted Barley add?

I guess you’ll find out. Ideally I think it is just for color with a noticeable but not dominating roastiness too it. I don’t think it will be bad, but you might not win any BJCP style guideline certified competitions with that. Relax, wait until it’s done and enjoy it.

Thanks,

Yea, my problem is that I have no idea what the original was supposed to taste like, so my baseline will only be this brew, a roastier dark lager. I am sure it will be enjoyable

like you said. might be a bit roastier. but at the amount you used, it won’t be overwhelming by any means.

i would have done the same thing in your situation. i’m sure it will be just as good, just slightly different

That’s going to be like a Guinness lager.

I guess that would not be so bad, although I have not tried the Guinness Lager.

What would be the difference between Carafa III and De-bittered Black Malt?

Not too much - Carafa is a debittered black malt, generically speaking.

I guess that would not be so bad, although I have not tried the Guinness Lager.[/quote]
Roasted barley is what gives Guiness the charcoally taste. It might not be your average scharzbier, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be good.

+1 to midnight wheat.

Briess Blackprinz would work.

I guess you’ll find out. Ideally I think it is just for color with a noticeable but not dominating roastiness too it. I don’t think it will be bad, but you might not win any BJCP style guideline certified competitions with that. Relax, wait until it’s done and enjoy it.[/quote]

This is funny. I am getting ready to brew another Swartzbier and looking for recipes and came across my own thread from a year and a half ago. I always thought this was a touch bitter but I bottled the last little bit and tucked it away for a rainy day.

Entered a competition last fall and had a 6 pack of this laying around and won a 1st place for it and one judge said “Don’t lose this recipe”

I just thought that was funny

Next time cold steep the roast barley, you’ll get color and not a lot of roastiness.