Carabrown

Anyone ever use this? We used it in place of brown malt in a AHA winning recipe by some guys I used to brew with in Maryland (Brown Bag Porter). Yes, the cheeba monkeys that run the LHBS by me didn’t have brown malt.

I have to say, this beer is excellent.

Per Breiss:

Carabrown® Malt was developed on the light side of the brown malt style in order to retain some residual sweetness
while still delivering an assortment of lightly toasted flavors.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets ... abrown.pdf

tootsie roll, chocolate Charleston Chew sweetness, toasted/well-done biscuit, but a dry finish (just some early Saaz hops in the recipe). It doesn’t sound like its really a “cara” malt from the description (or the way it comes through in this recipe).

Dig.

I used it in a brown ale a few months ago, at a rate of about 10% as I recall. The beer didn’t turn out all that great, for whatever reason, but the carabrown malt definitely wasn’t the culprit, I don’t think. I was a little hesitant to use that high a proportion of it, but my idea was to consolidate the toasted malt and the caramel malt into one addition, and that malt seemed like a good way to do that, so I didn’t feel like that was overdoing it. The next time I brew a brown ale, I’ll most likely use that grain again.

right. this recipe had about 8% carabrown and 8% C40, but brown porter kind of fills that gap between robust porter, dark mild, and southern english brown so it would probably have more sweetness than an ABA. Based on this experience, I would use this malt again.