Canton, NC Hops Project

So, I’m jumping into the hops arena. I ordered ten varieties of hops and just received the rhizomes. Since this is my first go, I request your input throughout this year. You can follow along here…

http://www.howbrewbeer.com/hops-growing ... erhops.htm

I essentially want to learn as much as I can about hops for my own personal brewing experiences. I’m not considering entering the business of growing hops by the acre. So, I figured what better way to learn than to spend $100 on the rhizomes and get going!

For now, I’ve planted the rhizomes in containers. My garden isn’t fully prepared as yet, nor are the temperatures steady. I expect after a week or two they will be, however.

I don’t plan to sink a load of money in the “micro-yard” but I realize I’ll need to have some sort of support system for the hops to grow upon. I plan to go with a 12 - 16 feet system for now.

I’ve read plenty on the internet about growing hops and plan to buy that book I’ve seen advertised here and there.

I’ve also created a tracking chart on the page mentioned above. Hopefully, I have the basic information covered.

Wish me luck!

First tip…growing hops is easy. Second tip…harvesting, drying and packaging hops isn’t.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been reading, Denny. I’m going to be putting the hop rhizomes in the ground this weekend. And, I still need to figure out what trellace system I’m going to go with.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been reading, Denny. I’m going to be putting the hop rhizomes in the ground this weekend. And, I still need to figure out what trellace system I’m going to go with.[/quote]

I grow hops next to an unused clothes line in the back yard. I run fishing line at a 45 degree angle up to the clothes line, then once the shoots get that far I give them a bit of a twist around the line every couple of days or so. I have a feeling that I get less hops this way, but man is it easy to harvest, way safer than climbing 15-20 feet up a ladder.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been reading, Denny. I’m going to be putting the hop rhizomes in the ground this weekend. And, I still need to figure out what trellace system I’m going to go with.[/quote]

I grow hops next to an unused clothes line in the back yard. I run fishing line at a 45 degree angle up to the clothes line, then once the shoots get that far I give them a bit of a twist around the line every couple of days or so. I have a feeling that I get less hops this way, but man is it easy to harvest, way safer than climbing 15-20 feet up a ladder.[/quote]
That sounds like a good approach. And, I have heard that the yield is usually less when growing them horizontally. I would prefer to have 20-foot tall poles or some sort of a ladder trellace that I can climb. Gotta figure this out.

UPDATE: I have started the “hop yard” and have placed the hops in the ground. Go here to view photos and read…

http://www.howbrewbeer.com/hops-growing ... erhops.htm

If I ever got serious about a home hop yard, I’d probably model it after the one Andy Sparks designed in this video:

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?p ... op-trellis

[quote=“erockrph”]If I ever got serious about a home hop yard, I’d probably model it after the one Andy Sparks designed in this video:

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?p ... op-trellis[/quote]

Yeah, that’s a pretty neat setup he has. I like the asthetics of it, and the fact that there are four bines on each pole. Unfortunately, I’ve already placed mine in a row of 15 hops. So, I’ll have to go with another set up. I’ve seen a section on here where one gentleman created a ladder system on his hop trellis setup. I’m going to see if I can find a link to that, and take a closer look. Thanks for the video tip, though. It was really neat to see how others are dealing with their hops.

[quote=“monk-e-business”]

I’ve seen a section on here where one gentleman created a ladder system on his hop trellis setup. I’m going to see if I can find a link to that, and take a closer look. Thanks for the video tip, though. It was really neat to see how others are dealing with their hops.[/quote]

Are you talking about this?

4 of my 6 second year varieties are already at the top of my 14’ trellis.

Last year at this time I was having the raised garden built and the hops were in pots. Several varieties made it to the top, but in August, not May!

[quote=“560sdl”][quote=“monk-e-business”]

I’ve seen a section on here where one gentleman created a ladder system on his hop trellis setup. I’m going to see if I can find a link to that, and take a closer look. Thanks for the video tip, though. It was really neat to see how others are dealing with their hops.[/quote]

Are you talking about this?

4 of my 6 second year varieties are already at the top of my 14’ trellis.

Last year at this time I was having the raised garden built and the hops were in pots. Several varieties made it to the top, but in August, not May![/quote]
That’s not the one I was thinking of, but wow! That’s a nice setup. I like the carabiner idea. This is probably similar, however to what I’m going to build. Very nice! Is this 2013 growth? Surely not.

Here is a quick look at what I have so far. The posts are 8-foot landscape timbers. I placed these in a hurry last Thursday, just to get the hop plants out of the pots. I plan to go with a trellis system about 13 feet in height, using 16-foot 4x4 pressure treated posts. I like the dual line-up system pictured above. Maybe something like that, but with less cross beams at top. That would be a lot of wood! I also like the d-ring setup, but may use a simple hanging hook and place the strings with round rings of some kind. My thinking is to be able to use a 10-foot pole with a hook on the end to “unhook” the bines from top, for harvesting. Anyone ever try such a setup?

Here are three I will run up along the South side of the house.

And, one that I’m going to run diagonally up the porch area. It will probably run up past the flag, and I’ll work it across the overhang, horizontally.

Yes sir,

Photo was taken this morning as I left the house.

Yes sir,

Photo was taken this morning as I left the house.[/quote]
Wow! I still don’t quite understand how Maryland would see growth before NC. But, those look awesome.

Yes sir,

Also, do you have any idea how high I can expect my first year hops (pictured) to grow this year?

Yes sir,

Also, do you have any idea how high I can expect my first year hops (pictured) to grow this year?[/quote]

I put mine in the ground in June of last year and the ones you see high grew to about that height last year which was year 1. My ‘C’ hops did the best last year.

Can I expect any flowers (hops) this year? If so, about how much?

I ended up with about 3 oz, dry for all of my plants last year. I guess of the 6 I planted, I got yield out of 3. Probably 2 oz out of the Chinook and 1/2 each out of the Cascade and EKG

Ok, thanks. I just read how the first year is all about developing the root system, so that makes sense. Darn. Gotta wait another year!