Can you take a look a my amber recipe?

I know the math is not right on my first wort hop addition of cascade. Can some one tell me how to formulate the actual IBU I will receive from that addition.

Also. What are you thoughts are the malt bill? Look ok, or will be overly malty with the munich and caramunich amounts?

And I plan to ferment with denny’s favorite. Will be the first time that I have tried this yeast.

Thanks,
Muddy

Amber II
American Amber Ale

Recipe Specs

Batch Size (G): 5.5
Total Grain (lb): 12.750
Total Hops (oz): 2.50
Original Gravity (OG): 1.064 (°P): 15.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.29 %
Colour (SRM): 10.5 (EBC): 20.7
Bitterness (IBU): 53.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill

9.000 lb American 2-Row (70.59%)
2.000 lb Munich I (15.69%)
1.250 lb Caramunich I (9.8%)
0.500 lb Carapils (Dextrine) (3.92%)

Hop Bill

1.00 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill

Single step Infusion at 151°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 68°F with Ale yeast

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
http://www.brewmate.net

What I am reading is that the first wort hop will get you the bitterness of a 20 minute addition. Is this correct.

So that would give me the following IBU’s from my caculations.

Cascade 1.0oz (First Wort Hop) : 13.49 IBU
Magnum 0.5oz (60 Min) : 21.75 IBU
Centennial 1.0oz (0 min) : 0 IBU

total IBU : 35.2

Should I up the magnum to 0.625oz(5/8th)?
Which would give me an total IBU of 40.7

Thanks for all of your input.

I’m getting that you will be approximately 28.0 IBUs from the cascades at first wort hop and 90 min boil and that you will get about 19 from the magnum…

This puts you over the top for and American AA but someone please check my math.

Otherwise this sounds like a great beer…I don’t think too malty for the amber style…What really counts is what you like.

I don’t get those figures.

I’m not familiar with the common 20 minute rule…The theory I learned is that first wort hopping actually increases your utilization of all of your additions by a few percent.

"Adding hops to the wort early in the sparging process reduced the Ph of the wort, which enhanced isomerization of later hop additions, increasing overall hop utilization during the boil.

Sources vary, but most testing indicates that first wort hopping will increase the number of International Bitterness Units (IBUs) by as much as 10%. Given the hop shortage I wrote about earlier, increased utilization is an added bonus. However, taste perception is different. In blind taste testing across a number of articles, the overall flavor of first wort hops is perceived as smoother, less sharp, and had a more pleasing aroma. Hop bitterness was perceived as harmonic and uniformly bitter. In blind taste tests, the FWH were preferred by 11 of 12 test subjects. (Ref: FWH, Brewery.org)"

so the numbers i came up with were from beersmith…but if you do the equations manually and account for a 10% in utilization due to the drop in PH you still get very close to the numbers I mentioned in the earlier post.

Dude,

That recipe looks delicious no matter what hop time additions you make. When it is done you should send me some so I can confirm my suspicions of deliciousness.

Seems like a lot of Caramunich, but again, it’s your beer. If you want it that malty, go for it.

I think the carapils is unnecessary.

then it’s gone. can you confirm that a first wort hop addition is equal to the ibu’s of a 20 minute addition?

I will look into something else. sub some for a crystal?

then it’s gone. can you confirm that a first wort hop addition is equal to the ibu’s of a 20 minute addition?[/quote]

Well, no and yes! Testing showed that my FWH beers actually had about 10% more measurable IBU, but in a blind triangle tasting most tasters thought that the FWH beers tasted less bitter due to chemical changes the FWH undergo as they steep. So I count my FWH addition as having the same IBU as a 20 min, addition because we drink beer, not measure it!

Thanks a ton. Looking forward to trying a new technic to me.

then it’s gone. can you confirm that a first wort hop addition is equal to the ibu’s of a 20 minute addition?[/quote]

Well, no and yes! Testing showed that my FWH beers actually had about 10% more measurable IBU, but in a blind triangle tasting most tasters thought that the FWH beers tasted less bitter due to chemical changes the FWH undergo as they steep. So I count my FWH addition as having the same IBU as a 20 min, addition because we drink beer, not measure it![/quote]

Well said!

I’m thinking I am going to change up the recipe just a bit. going to get denny’s favorite 1450 going on the stirplate tonight.just slightly above the bjcp og. But I don’t blame to do anything but drink it. so who cares.

Amber2
American Amber Ale

Recipe Specs

Batch Size (G): 5.0
Total Grain (lb): 12.500
Total Hops (oz): 2.50
Original Gravity (OG): 1.062 (°P): 15.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.09 %
Colour (SRM): 14.0 (EBC): 27.6
Bitterness (IBU): 39.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill

9.000 lb American 6-Row (72%)
2.000 lb Munich I (16%)
1.000 lb Caramunich I (8%)
0.250 lb Crystal 120 (2%)
0.250 lb Crystal 80 (2%)

Hop Bill

1.00 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (First Wort) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill

Single step Infusion at 153°F for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 65°F with

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]1.00 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (First Wort) (0.2 oz/Gal)
[/quote]Where are the dry hops? :wink:

I thought the 20min rule only accounted for a 60 min boil. If youre doing a 90 min would it be appropriate to calculate them as a 30 mim addition instead?? Either way, hard to go wrong with a recipe like that

Good luck! :cheers:

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]I thought the 20min rule only accounted for a 60 min boil. If youre doing a 90 min would it be appropriate to calculate them as a 30 mim addition instead?? Either way, hard to go wrong with a recipe like that

Good luck! :cheers: [/quote]

ok cool. I will change the numbers to reflect a thirty minute addition.

Where you referring to the original recipe or the later one?

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“muddywater_grant”]1.00 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (First Wort) (0.2 oz/Gal)
[/quote]Where are the dry hops? :wink: [/quote]

I haven’t dry hopped my ambers or reds in the past. But I could I guess.

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]I thought the 20min rule only accounted for a 60 min boil. If youre doing a 90 min would it be appropriate to calculate them as a 30 mim addition instead?? [/quote]Given that the difference between a 60-min and 90-min boil is tiny and non-linear I would just stick with a 20-min addition for the IBU calcs.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]I haven’t dry hopped my ambers or reds in the past. But I could I guess.[/quote]I like an amber with a good hop aroma. :wink:

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“S.Scoggin”]I thought the 20min rule only accounted for a 60 min boil. If youre doing a 90 min would it be appropriate to calculate them as a 30 mim addition instead?? [/quote]Given that the difference between a 60-min and 90-min boil is tiny and non-linear I would just stick with a 20-min addition for the IBU calcs.
[/quote]

interesting. thanks!

to muddywater^ i was referring to the first version, although the second looks good too. just depends what you’re going for

:cheers:

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]I thought the 20min rule only accounted for a 60 min boil. If youre doing a 90 min would it be appropriate to calculate them as a 30 mim addition instead?? Either way, hard to go wrong with a recipe like that

Good luck! :cheers: [/quote]

Technically, I agree, but it’s pretty subjective.