Can we ban the F-word on this forum?

I am, generally speaking, not an advocate for censorship. But there’s a certain 4-letter F-word being constantly sprinkled around this forum that has no legitimate place in polite conversation. I hate to use the word myself, but obviously I’m talking about “F - I - F - A”

Seriously though, many thanks to the forum admins who spend their precious time ban-hammering the spammers. Posting spammer’s ID’s to the We’ve got Spam
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34537&p=1087632#p1087632
Thread generally brings results almost as fast as if they let you just delete spammers posts yourself. (which would not be a good idea.)

I’m curious though, I thought the forum had some mechanism for blocking “offensive” words. Would adding that word to the offensive list be possible? It could frustrate the spammers enough to leave us alone? Either way, seeing “Buy **** coins online” might make their posts more amusing, as your mind would substitute other words…

I used the word **** and I see now that my post was deleted. So I guess they ran a word search for deletion of all posts containing the word, and perhaps added it as a restricted curse word as well?

On the BeerAdvocate forum, “cider” and “mead” are curse words that warrant deletion of the post. I provide good feedback to someone about cider, and moments later my post is deleted. But Redd’s Apple Ale is probably good stuff worthy of discussion. Figure that one out.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]I used the word **** and I see now that my post was deleted. So I guess they ran a word search for deletion of all posts containing the word, and perhaps added it as a restricted curse word as well?

On the BeerAdvocate forum, “cider” and “mead” are curse words that warrant deletion of the post. I provide good feedback to someone about cider, and moments later my post is deleted. But Redd’s Apple Ale is probably good stuff worthy of discussion. Figure that one out.[/quote]No, we don’t run a search and delete posts containing a word. Its not that easy. I do routinely delete members posts that are responding to a spam and have nothing to do with our forum. That is why I don’t like it when multiple posts follow a spam and would look stupid once I delete the spam post. It just makes more work for us mods.

Why not just delete the user at the same time you delete the post? Or maybe you do that already, I don’t follow them enough to know.

I tip my hat to you mods, it must get a bit frustrating at times. My gratitude goes out to NB for having the forum, and for all the volunteers who help keep it running.

+1000. Nice job, mods.

A while back we tried banning a range of IPs to try to stop spammers. The problem was some people ended up banned that were legit. I have banned single IPs rather and the user name but they frequently log in from different ones just as we would when being on at work (during lunch of course) and then at home.

Keep posting to we’ve got spam in the admin section viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34537 and we will try to beat them back as fast as possible.

Reporting a post with the button on top works but only if we notice them. Honestly I check the spam thread more than the reports so that will work better.

+1000. Nice job, mods.[/quote]

Especially you two HD4Mark and MullerBrau, you fellows have been here along time!