Can I mash.. wort into pot... wait 5 hours... then boil?

Hi All,
I want to try this…

get up early, mash, get wort into pot…

then go to work for about 5 hours…

then come back and do boil?

thoughts?

thanks,
Melanie

I’ve heard of people doing over night mashes, so why not mash out after work?

Cheers!!
And Happy Brewday

Shouldn’t be a problem. If you can, heat the wort to 170 or above before you leave so you’ve stopped enzyme activity. Otherwise it will be the equivalent of a 5 hour mash. Or maybe you want a really dry beer, in which case you can leave it alone.

Yeah I would just leave it in the mashtun if it were me but I lose very little heat so it wouldn’t be an issue.

I mash in during lunch pretty much every time. Then come home and start my mash out and boil after work’ three to four hours later.

Never had anything but success. I do use coolers though. You will probably need to wrap a kettle pretty good though so you don’t lose too much temp.

wow, thanks for all the tips…

If I do leave it in mash tun for the day, about 5 hours…(I have a 10 gallon round igloo)

let’s say temp gets down to 145-ish…

then for mash out, (I batch sparge)… I need to get temp up to 170, so I will have to put almost boiling water in there to get to 170?

thanks!

[quote=“newbrewermel”]wow, thanks for all the tips…

If I do leave it in mash tun for the day, about 5 hours…(I have a 10 gallon round igloo)

let’s say temp gets down to 145-ish…

then for mash out, (I batch sparge)… I need to get temp up to 170, so I will have to put almost boiling water in there to get to 170?

thanks![/quote]
I really wouldn’t worry about that at that point. Mashout temps are to stop enzyme activity. Frankly, at this point you’ve converted all the sugars you’re going to convert. Just drain, heat up some sparge water to about 170 and do your batch sparge. Easy peezy.

excellent, thanks!

[quote=“newbrewermel”]

thanks![/quote]

I use boiling water and I don’t see the temp raising above 170*.

[quote=“Nighthawk”][quote=“newbrewermel”]

thanks![/quote]

I use boiling water and I don’t see the temp raising above 170*.[/quote]
At this point, he could use tepid water to rinse residual sugar from the grains and get the same effect.

Yeah I wouldn’t be concerned with temp for sparging. I never do mashout. Well, if I do it is because the sparge water got hot enough to get me there, not because I planned it. I’ve always wanted to do this long mash but haven’t gotten around to it. Seems like it would make the brewday seem shorter and more manageable by chuncking it into smaller pieces you are doing hours apart.

I use boiling water and I don’t see the temp raising above 170*.[/quote]
At this point, he could use tepid water to rinse residual sugar from the grains and get the same effect.[/quote]

ok, thanks… and for the record, I am a “she” 8)

at this moment I am at work and my mash is sitting there, will be about 5-6 hours.

I won’t worry too much about getting the sparge water really hot.

thanks everyone, I’ll keep you posted.

Melanie

At this point, he could use tepid water to rinse residual sugar from the grains and get the same effect.[/quote]

ok, thanks… and for the record, I am a “she” 8)

at this moment I am at work and my mash is sitting there, will be about 5-6 hours.

I won’t worry too much about getting the sparge water really hot.

thanks everyone, I’ll keep you posted.

Melanie[/quote]

My comment is more like: I just use boiling water because 1) I don’t need to keep an eye on the thermometer, 2) my grain temp never gets above 170 when I use it.

It easy enough to have the water in the pot in the morning. When you get home, turn the burner on. Come back in XX minutes and it should be close to a boil.

yup, that’s what I did, thanks for all the tips!

I turned the burner on for sparge water right when I got home, and then by the time I got the first wort out, the water was hot enough to do the sparge.

I left the mash for 6 hours and only lost 5-6*
I wrapped up my 10 gallon round igloo in a big blanky.

wow, if this beer turns out, which it should, I will do this again, it was really nice to break up the brew day.
may try an overnight mash sometime.

I agree. It’s nice to be able to break up the brewing day. I sometimes mash-in at lunch and start the sparge right when I get home from work. Cuts out at least an hour or so from the evening tasks. I’ve only ever done it on beers that I want to finish a little drier.

I just mashed in on a pale ale about an hour ago during lunch. I also preheat my sparge water. So as soon as I get home after work, I will go directly into mashout.

unlike fightman I will do this on all beers, even ones that I don’t want to finish to drive. I haven’t had any issue with any with this technique.

It’s awesome to be completely cleaned up and yeast pitched before 7:30.