Can I mash tonight and boil tomorrow?

I don’t see why this wouldn’t work as long as I keep the wort cool, right?

Thanks,

Ron

This will work fine, as long as you heat the wort to at least 170 F for about 10 minutes for a mashout before you go to bed. This destroys all the enzymes and locks in your fermentability. Otherwise the enzymes keep on working overnight and you’ll get a highly fermentable wort, final gravity below 1.007 or something like that, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your recipe. So mashout if you want to maintain some body and mouthfeel in the final beer.

Thanks, Dave. I do BIAB and I always do a 10 min mashout/sparge around 170. This is a faux kolsch using us-05 so a tad drier wouldn’t be horrible, but it looks like I should be fine.

Thanks,

Ron

[quote=“Frenchie”]Thanks, Dave. I do BIAB and I always do a 10 min mashout/sparge around 170. This is a faux kolsch using us-05 so a tad drier wouldn’t be horrible, but it looks like I should be fine.

Thanks,

Ron[/quote]

10 min. is probably not enough to denature enzymes. You’d do better with at least 20 min.

[quote=“Denny”]
10 min. is probably not enough to denature enzymes. You’d do better with at least 20 min.[/quote]

Yeah, I got to thinking about it, and while I sparge the grain at 170, that doesn’t bring all the wort up to 170. So I think I’ll just bite the bullet and do the whole brew tonight. I’ll be sparging in about 20 minutes, so I should be able to finish up by about 9. Or 10 if I clean up tonight. Oh, who am I kidding. I can clean up tomorrow!!

Thanks for the help, guys.

:cheers:

Ron

P.S. Is it acceptable to drink jack and coke during the boil? Just don’t want to go too far outside of accepted practice haha. Got a really bad craving.

P.S. Is it acceptable to drink jack and coke during the boil? Just don’t want to go too far outside of accepted practice haha. Got a really bad craving.[/quote]
As long as you don’t tell anyone…
But no one is reading these posts nowadays. :wink:

Thanks, Jim. Just finished the JandC and have 5 min left in the boil. It’s been a good brew evening.

Cheers to all.

Ron

As long as you don’t tell anyone…
But no one is reading these posts nowadays. :wink: [/quote]

Of course it’s okay. Jack is sour mashed.

[quote=“Frenchie”][quote=“Denny”]
10 min. is probably not enough to denature enzymes. You’d do better with at least 20 min.[/quote]

Yeah, I got to thinking about it, and while I sparge the grain at 170, that doesn’t bring all the wort up to 170. So I think I’ll just bite the bullet and do the whole brew tonight. I’ll be sparging in about 20 minutes, so I should be able to finish up by about 9. Or 10 if I clean up tonight. Oh, who am I kidding. I can clean up tomorrow!!

Thanks for the help, guys.

Ron

P.S. Is it acceptable to drink jack and coke during the boil? Just don’t want to go too far outside of accepted practice haha. Got a really bad craving.[/quote]

Many people also let the mash rest overnight and sparge and boil the next day. Seems to work fine.

I never drink anything but water when I brew. I save beer for a reward once I’m done. It makes the cleanup easier and I make fewer mistakes that way. YMMV.

I’m with ya there Denny! Easy to make mistakes when your too worried about the beer you’re drinking rather than the beer you’re making. I make it easier to avoid by starting to brew in the morning. Most people frown upon drinking at 6am. Most I guess… :lol:

I’m with ya there Denny! Easy to make mistakes when your too worried about the beer you’re drinking rather than the beer you’re making. I make it easier to avoid by starting to brew in the morning. Most people frown upon drinking at 6am. Most I guess… :lol: [/quote]

Same here! 9 AM is my usual starting time. That means I’m done and cleaned up before 2 pm and THEN I can enjoy my beers!

Yep, that’s my usual MO… The JandC was pretty weak, so no real distraction. I totally agree though–the drinking is best left till after brewing!

Ron

I’m an early morning Saturday brewer. Usually prep the night before, start the water boiling at 6am. Then go upstairs and make the coffee. Have breakfast during the mash. Usually done with cleanup by noonish. 1st beer at 12:01 while adding my notes to the computer. :cheers:

Drinking coffee while I brew is as happy as I get. I am a big fan of brewing in the morning too.

i brew in the mornings as well. Kids play in the yard, while i make beer and i’m cleaned up by lunch time.

+1 But no designated day of the week. Coffee for me and sanitize the fermenters and stuff during the mash or boil. I have a couple when I’m done depending on what time it is.