Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Can I lay my bottle sideways to condition?

Is there anything wrong with laying the bottles on their side to carbonate?

I have a lot more storage options if I can lay some of them down.

I don’t NEED to lay them down, but does it matter?

When you stand them up to pour, all the yeast that’s settled on the side will mix back in.

The only problem would that when you put them upright, the yeast will go into suspension again because it would have sedimented on the side of the bottle and you’d need to keep it upright for enough time to allow it all to settle again to the bottom. Brewery DuPont does that btw. They bottle, store on side and then ship out. That’s why their beers all have yeast sediment on the side.

Also, if you’re using oxygen-scavenging caps (and you should if for no other reason than they have a better oring in them), you’ll need to leave them vertical for at least a couple of days to let the caps do their thing.

I was thinking exactly that, but didn’t know for sure. Thanks for chiming in!

I knew I could count on you guys! Didn’t occur to me to think about the yeast settling.

Thanks.

Only store corked bottles on their side if youre going to store them for long period. This keeps the cork moist and more oxygen out. Then when your ready to have one, swirl it, then put it in the fridge for a few hours. It works for me anyways.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com