Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Can I keg and not refrigerate right away?

I’ve never kegged before, but I’m about to!

Can I load my kegs up and replace the oxygen with C02 and then let them sit for a couple days before putting them in the fridge and carbonating?

yes.

+1 to yes. I keg, purge the air with CO2, then store in the basement till ready to go to the kegerator. Basement stays 60F or better.

Yep, I even carb my kegs at room temp. That way they are ready to go when needed in the kegerator.

i usually seal the lid well, purge the Oxygen out, and then just let them sit until something kicks in the fridge. I check on them from time to time and make sure they are still sealed though. Maybe once every few weeks. I slap the gas on for a few seconds to make sure it’s tight. I try to keep reserves up as really it’s just acting as secondary then and aging.

I agree with all who weighed in. You’ll have no problems at all if you brewed cleanly to begin with and avoided aeration while racking.

In fact I almost always have at least one keg of bitter or special bitter on hand that never even sees the refrigerator…I store it and serve it at cellar temps (nominally 60°F year-round in my basement).
I also always store my Xmas Ale at cellar temps from roughly March to November. I chill it after that only to make getting it into bottles easier.

I force carbonate immediately after racking to the keg and then put them in the corner of the basement until a tap opens up. Occasionally I have some beers that go 6 months (or longer) that sit in the keg this way at cellar temps (68 in the summer, 60 in the winter) before getting moved into the keggerator for serving.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com