Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Can a chest freezer be turned up so beer stays cold

Can a simple chest freezer be turned up high enough that my keg won’t freeze but will stay cold at say 36-38 degrees. Or are all freezers below freezing?

Yes it can on most models, but not all. I got mine set to 37F and its working great.

Check out this thread.

If you are still below freezing after adjusting the thermostat all the way up you will need to get an external temp controller, such as a Johnson A419.

I use a Ranco temp controller and keep my keezer at 33F. Beer stays fresh a long time at that temp, and I don’t have to worry about it freezing either, as I assume is more likely based on a low setting of the freezer thermostat.

ebay temp controller for less than $30 total parts.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108881&p=960587&hilit=controller#p960587

[quote=“Nighthawk”]ebay temp controller for less than $30 total parts.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108881&p=960587&hilit=controller#p960587[/quote]

Definitely recommend this build if you are going to go with a temp controller.

Yes it can on most models, but not all. I got mine set to 37F and its working great.

Check out this thread.

If you are still below freezing after adjusting the thermostat all the way up you will need to get an external temp controller, such as a Johnson A419.[/quote]
That link is what I did on my Fridgidare chest freezer, holds 38 degrees without need for an external temp controller. :cheers: Took a couple days to get it set right but no problems once I did. An external controller would be a better choice if you’re going to want to change the temp at all (ie - use it as a fermentation chamber) but I just use mine for cold conditioning kegs, cold crashing carboys and storing some overflow of bottled beer that I want cold.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com