Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Campden dechlorination

To save on filter expenses, I’ve decided to try using campden tablets to dechlorinate my brew water. My LHBS sells tabs but they don’t indicate dosage. I asked the shopkeep about dosage, and he said he’s never heard of using campden to dechlorinate but he’s “pretty sure it’s still 1 tab/gal”. Concerning, but that’s a whole other issue. Do these look like the standard 400mg, so 1 tab/20 gallons? Thanks!

those look ‘standard’ to me. I think you need a 1/4 of a tab for 5 gallons (though I’ve done 1/2 and haven’t necessarily perceived any off-flavors, but they can make it vinous I’ve heard).

FYI, I have a chlorine filter and still use campden, because campden will precipitate out CHLORAMINE, which is a precursor to chlorine, and used widely in muni water systems. Chloramine slips through charcoal/in-line filters.

One band-aid beer was enough for me. Campden is cheap insurance.

Campden works on both chlorine and chloramine and yes, that’s a 20-gallon tablet.

The package says one per gallon??

Funny this thread came up today. I just Emailed our host about the very same question this afternoon. Their reply is exactly what shadetree said, one tablet will treat 20 gallons. I plan on crushing one tablet then divide it between the HLT and the mash tun. Maybe save a third for future use.

For sanitizing must. Not for dechlorinating.

Ah! got it!

That’s what I assumed. Thanks for the input everybody!

:cheers:

[quote=“Bier brauer”] I plan on crushing one tablet then divide it between the HLT and the mash tun. Maybe save a third for future use.[/quote]There’s no issue with using a little extra - I use one tablet for 10-20 gallons and for less than 10, I use a half.

No matter the amount of mash and sparge water, I break a tablet in half for each. I crush it between my fingers as I put it in while the water is heating up.

I believe we have the same granite. Tape measure takes out all the guesswork :slight_smile:

How long does it take to get the chlorine/chloramine out, overnight, a couple hours?

Presumably enough time for it to mix in…minutes?

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“Glug Master”]How long does it take to get the chlorine/chloramine out, overnight, a couple hours?[/quote]Presumably enough time for it to mix in…minutes?[/quote]Yes, it’s a fast reaction, stir well and it’s done.

Yeah, I love the granite; it’s great camouflage for stains. The only issue is that I’ve gotten in the habit of not wiping up coffee spills…

Pretty damn quick. I can smell the chlorine prior and just crushing and stirring and the odor is gone. I use 1/2 tab for each strike and sparge (usually 4-5 gallons each).

The campden works great and is super fast. I’ve been using it for years with my tap water. 1/4 tab per 5gal is the dosage that I use.

Do the campden tablets crush that easy? I am brewing on Wednesday and been wondering what to use to crush the tablet. I never used them before, and I have not opened the package yet to check them out. Also bought a carbon water filter. Anxious to see if it all helps.

I am also taking my first shot at using campden. When do I add it to the water. anything i should know when using this stuff. I am going to brew Tomorrow (sun) a light ale for the summer. Cheers

Do the campden tablets crush that easy? I am brewing on Wednesday and been wondering what to use to crush the tablet. I never used them before, and I have not opened the package yet to check them out. Also bought a carbon water filter. Anxious to see if it all helps.[/quote]

Put the tab (or partial) in the bowl of a spoon. Put another spoon on top and crush.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com