Campden dechlorination

To save on filter expenses, I’ve decided to try using campden tablets to dechlorinate my brew water. My LHBS sells tabs but they don’t indicate dosage. I asked the shopkeep about dosage, and he said he’s never heard of using campden to dechlorinate but he’s “pretty sure it’s still 1 tab/gal”. Concerning, but that’s a whole other issue. Do these look like the standard 400mg, so 1 tab/20 gallons? Thanks!

those look ‘standard’ to me. I think you need a 1/4 of a tab for 5 gallons (though I’ve done 1/2 and haven’t necessarily perceived any off-flavors, but they can make it vinous I’ve heard).

FYI, I have a chlorine filter and still use campden, because campden will precipitate out CHLORAMINE, which is a precursor to chlorine, and used widely in muni water systems. Chloramine slips through charcoal/in-line filters.

One band-aid beer was enough for me. Campden is cheap insurance.

Campden works on both chlorine and chloramine and yes, that’s a 20-gallon tablet.

The package says one per gallon??

Funny this thread came up today. I just Emailed our host about the very same question this afternoon. Their reply is exactly what shadetree said, one tablet will treat 20 gallons. I plan on crushing one tablet then divide it between the HLT and the mash tun. Maybe save a third for future use.

For sanitizing must. Not for dechlorinating.

Ah! got it!

That’s what I assumed. Thanks for the input everybody!

:cheers:

[quote=“Bier brauer”] I plan on crushing one tablet then divide it between the HLT and the mash tun. Maybe save a third for future use.[/quote]There’s no issue with using a little extra - I use one tablet for 10-20 gallons and for less than 10, I use a half.

No matter the amount of mash and sparge water, I break a tablet in half for each. I crush it between my fingers as I put it in while the water is heating up.

I believe we have the same granite. Tape measure takes out all the guesswork :slight_smile:

How long does it take to get the chlorine/chloramine out, overnight, a couple hours?

Presumably enough time for it to mix in…minutes?

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“Glug Master”]How long does it take to get the chlorine/chloramine out, overnight, a couple hours?[/quote]Presumably enough time for it to mix in…minutes?[/quote]Yes, it’s a fast reaction, stir well and it’s done.

Yeah, I love the granite; it’s great camouflage for stains. The only issue is that I’ve gotten in the habit of not wiping up coffee spills…

Pretty damn quick. I can smell the chlorine prior and just crushing and stirring and the odor is gone. I use 1/2 tab for each strike and sparge (usually 4-5 gallons each).

The campden works great and is super fast. I’ve been using it for years with my tap water. 1/4 tab per 5gal is the dosage that I use.

Do the campden tablets crush that easy? I am brewing on Wednesday and been wondering what to use to crush the tablet. I never used them before, and I have not opened the package yet to check them out. Also bought a carbon water filter. Anxious to see if it all helps.

I am also taking my first shot at using campden. When do I add it to the water. anything i should know when using this stuff. I am going to brew Tomorrow (sun) a light ale for the summer. Cheers

Do the campden tablets crush that easy? I am brewing on Wednesday and been wondering what to use to crush the tablet. I never used them before, and I have not opened the package yet to check them out. Also bought a carbon water filter. Anxious to see if it all helps.[/quote]

Put the tab (or partial) in the bowl of a spoon. Put another spoon on top and crush.