Call Out to Ken Lenard

Ken

Looking for a good full tasting low gravity amber beer and like the look of your hacienda lager. Is your recipes for 6 gals? Its probably listed on your sight and I probably missed it.

Hey- All of those recipes are for 5 gallons. The Hacienda was a recipe I put together to get close to a beer I liked, Victoria Lager from Mexico. It had been brewed in Mexico since 1865 and was never distributed to the US but that changed in 2010 when Chicago was the first city outside of Mexico to sell it. It’s a wimpy 4% beer with some color and I think the character that I like is from the Mexican lager yeast (WLP940 which used to be platinum but is now available all year). It’s a nice beer. Feel free to boost the hops or whatever. That recipe creates a beer that might be just a smidge more pale than the commercial version and I have a recipe drawn up right now with a little more CaraMunich in it to take care of that. Cheers my friend.

FWIW, Ken’s HL is a great beer but it is a pale yellow, not amber. I’ve had it on tap continuously for the past 13months or so. It’s my wife’s favorite.

Cheers

[quote=“StormyBrew”]FWIW, Ken’s HL is a great beer but it is a pale yellow, not amber. I’ve had it on tap continuously for the past 13months or so. It’s my wife’s favorite.

Cheers[/quote]
Well, it’s not supposed to be that way but I admit that the last 2 or 3 times I have made it, it’s been more pale than the commercial example. Here’s an ad for Victoria…

This was why I originally put the black malt/midnight wheat/carafe III in the recipe to darken it but I think a little more CaraMunich would do it. Stormy, so glad to hear you have been serving it and it’s a hit with your wife. I actually think it’s a great summer beer and I usually make it in the spring for that reason. I have WLP940 in my fridge and I should really add this one to my ‘upcoming beer’ list. Cheers guys.