California Common

Hello Everyone,

I’m looking at brewing NB’s California Common AG kit in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone might have any advice on fermentation temperatures – this would be my first time around with this style of beer. Would it need a cold secondary? Any advise on any aspect of the process would be appreciated!

I’ve never made that kit, but I did use Wyeast 2112 in a Vienna Smoked Lager that I brewed in early December. Fermented at the lower end of suggested range. 56-58F if I remember correctly. After 7 days I slowly raised the temp up to 65F for a few days, then it sat at 68 for 2 weeks. On bottling day (2 weeks ago) it tasted fantastic. I was shocked at how much it tasted like a lager with those warmer ferm temps and no lagering. I planned on lagering in the bottle for 8-10 weeks, but honestly think it may go less. Maybe only 4 now.

Assuming that kit uses one of the variants (WLP or Wyeast) of the Cal Common strain, I can offer some advice. I did a lot of experimenting with that strain in lagers for a friend of mine who was planning to use it in a start up brewery. It works very well all the way down to 50 F. I have made a Cal Common with it and fermented at 62 F with great results. Very versatile yeast.

Thanks very much for the help! My lagering fridge will shortly be tied up with a Maibock, but the ambient temperature in the basement is right at 55*, so the 2112 should do nicely on the basement floor. Perhaps I’ll bring it up to the back room (around 60-65*) for a couple of weeks after primary fermentation ends. Thanks again.

I just did this one recently. I fermented at 60. Then raised to 65 when fermentation finished. I need to transfer to secondary and cold condition/lager.

[quote=“Dan S”]the ambient temperature in the basement is right at 55*, so the 2112 should do nicely on the basement floor. Perhaps I’ll bring it up to the back room (around 60-65*) for a couple of weeks after primary fermentation ends. [/quote]That’s a good plan.

One more follow up question, this time concerning the hop schedule:

I see in the recipe that there is a 1 oz. hop addition at 0 minutes. I generally strain the hops out of my wort after cooling but before going into primary (I use a paint strainer in the bottling bucket) – for this recipe, would I be better advised to leave them in through primary fermentation since the last addition is so late?

Also, any general thoughts on straining out hops (pros or cons) before primary would be welcome.

[quote=“Dan S”]One more follow up question, this time concerning the hop schedule:

I see in the recipe that there is a 1 oz. hop addition at 0 minutes. I generally strain the hops out of my wort after cooling but before going into primary (I use a paint strainer in the bottling bucket) – for this recipe, would I be better advised to leave them in through primary fermentation since the last addition is so late?

Also, any general thoughts on straining out hops (pros or cons) before primary would be welcome.[/quote]

That late addition is for aroma. It will not add bitterness. I normally let the wort sit for 15 minutes after flameout, then chill and finally strain the hops with you take it to the fermentor. You do want to leave the hops behind.