C02 quality

So I’ve been researching getting my C02 tank filled and I’m hung up on the grades of C02 that are available. Anyone have any input or knowledge of what is safe for use in kegging. I just want to understand what I’m using in my keg before making any decisions. I don’t want to harm anyone with the wrong grade of C02 when I can spend a little more on the correct gas. I’ve read a few things like Food/Beverage grade is different from industrial grade, Beverage grade is an up sale and not necessarily needed, and Industrial grade could contain impurities/carcinogens? I’ve read that it’s the same gas other than the tank it’s held in as far as the tank is cleaned or flushed/maintained. If my used tank was previously filled with a different or lesser grade could it be contaminated? I’m not like a super health freak but like I mentioned I just want to understand what I’m using and that it’s relatively safe to use. Thanks!

1 Like

CO2 is CO2 as far as I know. As far as regulators and tanks go I don’t know.

Think there is no difference in co2. Most regulators and tanks you buy or rent. Are oxygen clean. If you got your own tank. You can clean it with. Simpel green. For the oring. In neck of tank. Use christo lube. Me work lots with scuba tanks. And oxygen as well. No difference between industrial o2. Or medical grade. Just more cost

1 Like

I’ve read and heard different things. My LBHS said the only difference is food grade can only touch stainless equipment and the filler has to pay for a certification making it more expensive. I’ve also read the difference is purity of 99.9 (I think) for food grade and 99.5 for other. The impurities are things like oil, benzene, etc.

That being said, welding co2 hasn’t killed any of us yet…that I know of.

In 1995 new international regulations for production of CO2 were developed. The regulations were developed after Coca-Cola had to dump thousands of gallons of soda due to impurities in CO2 produced in Europe. CO2 produced now is basically clean. How it is stored by all distributors is not regulated unless it is labeled food grade or medical grade. Food grade is most likely good enough for carbonating beer. CO2 from the local welding shop may not be good enough for beer but is good enough for welding purposes. Some knowledgeable welding shops may keep their tanks clean and some may not.

Indeed there is some food grade. Oxygen en inthis case co2. The co2 i use i get it from the local. Coca cola dealer. But. Its a regular. Aluminium tank. Proberly cleaned real wel. With a cleaning solvent.

I have bought my CO2 for years from either a CO2 dealer that only does soda and beer and from a fire equipment (extinguisher) company. Never any difference I could tell.

1 Like