BVIP question

Brewed Denny’s Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter recipe several weeks ago.

Bottled it on May 4th. Its been conditioning at about 68 degrees.

I popped one open (a partial bottle of the last bit out of the bottling bucket) last saturday. It smelled great. It wasnt very carbed yet but the bourbon seemed a tad too strong. So far definately a “sipper” for chilly nights or hanging out by the firepit.

I’m curious if the bourbon taste will fade with age somewhat or is that more likely I used too much?

I used about 8 ozs in a 4 gallon batch.

I have another one chilling in the fridge to sample tonight ot tomorrow and see if its changed at all.

The vanilla fades first, then the bourbon. How much bourbon did you use?

Hi Denny,

approx 8 oz in a 4 gallon batch

[quote=“Kgetch”]Hi Denny,

approx 8 oz in a 4 gallon batch[/quote]

Sounds about right.

rgr that…Thanks!

Please explain what you mean by “…bourbon smelled a tad too strong.”

How is that possible? Are you one of those people who saves the cork when you open a new bottle of bourbon?

[quote=“Old_Dawg”]Please explain what you mean by “…bourbon smelled a tad too strong.”

How is that possible? Are you one of those people who saves the cork when you open a new bottle of bourbon?[/quote]

It’s possible because that beer shouldn’t be about the bourbon. It should be an integrated bourbon/vanilla/beer aroma and flavor. If you can pick out the bourbon, you used too much. But in a few weeks it all blends nicely.

I did exact that and am so bummed about it. Wife bought good bourbon instead of cheap bourbon and my was an intense bourbon small and taste. Gave it 8 months to mellow in the keg and gave up. Bottled about 8 bombers and poured the rest out. First beer I have ever poured out.

Figure it is better to brew it again and make it right than wait forever for somrthing that was not happening.

[quote=“560sdl”]I did exact that and am so bummed about it. Wife bought good bourbon instead of cheap bourbon and my was an intense bourbon small and taste. Gave it 8 months to mellow in the keg and gave up. Bottled about 8 bombers and poured the rest out. First beer I have ever poured out.

Figure it is better to brew it again and make it right than wait forever for somrthing that was not happening.[/quote]

You just need a good mid range bourbon. That’s why I use and recommend Jim Beam Black. Expensive bourbon is wasted on the beer IMO.

old dawg, It didnt smell too strong…for my taste, it seemed the bourbon flavor was too pronounced in the sample I tasted.

I can get around that if it does mellow out with some moderate aging.

I am now more concerned with the carbonation.

I sampled another bottle and this one was completely flat after just shy of 2 weeks in the bottle.

I’m not sure the exact amount of priming sugar I used cause I dont have my notes but I used one of the calulators that are online, either NB or Brewers Friend.

All my other batches have carbed up pretty well in a couple weeks with the exception of the only other batch that I racked to a secondary for a time before bottling.

I sure hope this one comes around but would appreciate any advise anyone might have for this one…

Thanks!

Keep it warm and be patient.

Hi Denny,

How warm? Right now its upstairs in spare bathroom at about 66 or 67 degrees.

I could move it to the den which is carpeted and usually a few degrees warmer.

basement it still lower 60s.

I agitated one 12 pack a little but unsure if that is recommended, frowned upon or doesnt really matter or help.

[quote=“Kgetch”]Hi Denny,

How warm? Right now its upstairs in spare bathroom at about 66 or 67 degrees.

I could move it to the den which is carpeted and usually a few degrees warmer.

basement it still lower 60s.

I agitated one 12 pack a little but unsure if that is recommended, frowned upon or doesnt really matter or help.[/quote]

70s or even 80s are OK for bottle conditioning. In the 60s it will still carb, but tale longer. Agitation isn’t gonna hurt.