Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Bumping up gravity during fermentation

I just made my first AG doppelbock and it was a hectic day. total 15 lbs of grain, OG was est at 1.076 and I hit just over 1.060. temps went 100-122-144-152 ish, had a hard time bumping up to 150+ because I dont have a direct fire mash tun.

Pitched a large yeast started and fermenting very well 2 days after brew day. However I would like to get the gravity up a little bit to hit the style. Any suggestions?

Thoughts are boiling some LME and h2o and adding it to primary just like adding simple sugar, or just leave it and have a lighter dbl bock i suppose.

other notes, pitched Wyeast Kolsch at about 60- the coldest I can go right now. Wyeast said this strain would work well with this beer.

see pic, high krausen into blow off tube already in ice bath to keep temp down

Where you trying to do a step mash? Many report that step mashes didn’t do anything for the beer. And is not needed due to better grain than 25-50 years ago.

Yes you could add some boiled DME to the beer to bump it up. 2lbs with as little water as you can should get you there.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Where you trying to do a step mash? Many report that step mashes didn’t do anything for the beer. And is not needed due to better grain than 25-50 years ago.

Yes you could add some boiled DME to the beer to bump it up. 2lbs with as little water as you can should get you there.[/quote]

I did it in my 10 gallon igloo cooler so a combination of infusion and decoction. I did it just because I wanted to decoct a little bit to stay true to history but proved rather difficult- lesson learned.

I will try adding some extract tomorrow, day 4 and see what happens

I know it’s probably after the fact but you can just add straight corn sugar to the primary. That’s what I did to get me a 21% IIIPA.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com