Bulk Grain Storage

I’m going to be ordering grain in bulk, so I’m thinking I need to get something like a Rubbermaid trash can with a clamp on lid to keep the critters out of the grain. Anyone know of a good container and its supplier?

What do you use?

I just use plastic kitchen size waste baskets with lids, keeping grain in the bag it came in. My grain is in my finished basement, low 60’s no humidity.

I know a lot of people just use cheap 5 gallon buckets/lids from home depot/menards. I think something like that would likely give you a very good seal.

Yeah, my wife recommended the Home Depot buckets with lids. I just wonder how many buckets you need for a 50 lb sack?

I just keep my sacks in a 30 gallon Rubbermaid trash can, it easily holds a couple 50# bags plus specialty malts.

I have seen quite a few people say that 2 buckets will hold 50 pounds . . . . Have not done it myself. But I would say 2, no more than 3.

Here is another thread on this topic:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/buying- ... ndex2.html

Cool, thanks for the replies. Definitely gives me a few ideas and options.

I definitely appreciate the advice I get here.

I have seen quite a few people say that 2 buckets will hold 50 pounds . . . . Have not done it myself. But I would say 2, no more than 3.

Here is another thread on this topic:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/buying- ... ndex2.html[/quote][quote="paultuttle"]Yeah, my wife recommended the Home Depot buckets with lids. I just wonder how many buckets you need for a 50 lb sack?[/quote]

I can fit a 50 pound sack it 2 buckets. There is very little room left but it works. I suggest getting different colored buckets for different types of malt for easy identification

Two 5 gallon buckets will do it. Also, you might get a gamma lid (search the web). These lids are air tight and screw on and off. Home Depot lids are more difficult to get on and off, but cheaper. $1.00 vs. $7.00

I put my sacks in Rubbermaid totes that are big enough to hold a full sack or two partials. That way I can leave the grain in the sack which is plastic lined. I just roll up the top after use and put a plate or something heavy on it to hold it closed. Then I snap the lid on the tote. They stack two to three high so you can keep the footprint fairly small, of course the one you need is always on the bottom. I think I currently have about ten totes of grain in the basement.

Buying in bulk is a great savings, you just want to use the grain up in a reasonable time frame (like a year) so keep an inventory and rotate those stocks.

Some grains will fit into 2 buckets (50-55lb sacks). Some grains are lighter and bigger and will need part of 3rd bucket. Home depot buckets are good, but the lids suck and start to crack after removing them several times. Lowes bucket lids are better. I’d recommend Lowes for buckets/lids.

You can go to the Walmart bakery for free food grade icing buckets with sealed lids.

Best thing ever for bulk grain… dry pet food containers. They’re air tight, easy to open, and typically food safe.

The wheels are real handy in moving that 50lb tub over to the grain mill. The one I have I got from a local organizational supply store, but they’re all over the place. Typically only cost $20-$30.

Soy sauce buckets from the Asian restaurants. They are a little smaller (4g?). But if you get them free…

edit: simple washing and there are not odors.

There are some really good ideas and good advice here. Thanks.

Or you could build a walk-in and keep the grain in bags, cool and dry. Makes a nice place to hang out in the summer, too, especially when there’s something fermenting so the ambient temp is around 60F. Not the cheapest way to go, though. :wink:

I actually just bought a 50lb sack of grain and it filled 2 buckets to the very top. That should not be a problem. If it’s a 55lb bag then you’re going to need more room.

Lowes also has food grade buckets for $4. Definitely recommend these buckets/lids.