Bulk aging in kegs

Am kind of running out of carboys at this point with my ‘sour program’, and need somewhere to stick my RIS until the dark days of WNY winter. I do have a few more cornies than I currently use.

My question is should I purge the keg if I am going to bulk age. I feel like a lot of what happens during aging/cellaring is that some of the alcohols oxidize and turn ‘heat’ into yummy luscious figs/prunes, etc. I would think for that to happen, you would want SOME oxygen in the vessel.

Personally, I wouldn’t want any oxygen in there, but it sounds like you have an experiment on your hands. Do you have 2 available cornies?

Purge one completely with CO2
Leave some oxygen in the other
Age’em
Report back

Despite the fact that a carboy would allow some oxygen to be in contact with the beer, I don’t think that’s necessarily a good thing. Put it in the keg and purge it. You can always oxidize it later of you want to.

[quote=“dobe12”]Personally, I wouldn’t want any oxygen in there, but it sounds like you have an experiment on your hands. Do you have 2 available cornies?

Purge one completely with CO2
Leave some oxygen in the other
Age’em
Report back[/quote]

Dobe you’re such a know-it-all. Do you have any scientific data to back up your advice!? Anything!?? [insert additional 3 paragraphs of nonsensical diatribe]

Just thought I’d fuel the fire from the other thread :mrgreen:

Maybe I’ll age a gallon of it in a non-purged container. 5 is a little too much RIS for experimentation. Thanks for the suggestion! :cheers:

:lol:

:cheers:

[quote=“Pietro”]Dobe you’re such a know-it-all. Do you have any scientific data to back up your advice!? Anything!?? [insert additional 3 paragraphs of nonsensical diatribe]

Just thought I’d fuel the fire from the other thread :mrgreen: [/quote]