Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Building RO water for Lefse Blonde

Going to brew a 10 gallon batch of Lefse Blonde tonight using RO water.
Grain bill

• 11.5 lbs. Belgian Pilsner malt
    0.5 lbs. Briess Caramel 10

Am I gong to want to make any additions to the water and if so what would you suggest?

I will be using Denny’s batch sparge method

This beer doesn’t need any complex water profile. I would add some CaCl2 to get the Ca+ up to 60-75ppm and brew away.

Check out and download bru’n water. It will tell you all you need to know and will help you build your profile.

When I brew Patersbier, which is 100% pilsner malt, I don’t add any minerals. Just straight RO. No problems so far. A nice, simple batch.

But I do agree with Loopie, that you should get bru’nwater and read the intro, then start using it. That has vastly improved my brewing.

:cheers:

Is that really the grain bill for 10 gallons? That would make a 3.2% beer. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but it looks short to me.

I have tasted this beer and I know it’s relatively delicate so “soft” is good. The problem with “RO” is that you don’t know what the water numbers are like you might with distilled (which is all zeroes) so you’re shooting in the dark. It might be nice to add some calcium chloride to get your calcium up and chlorides are good for a soft, round & smooth beer. Just thinking out loud.

Should have read 17.5 lbs of base malt
I also added 2lbs of sugar

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com