Bugs/Larvae in My Hops!

So, I have just lost one of my hops plants, a Golding variety. The leaves wilted over the past few days and the plant was doa this morning. May it rest in peace. Anyway, after digging it up, I noticed the following little creatures in the soil around the plant. Can anyone identify this hops killer? Follow my progress as a hops virgin at this thread… viewtopic.php?f=28&t=116761&p=1026892#p1026892

Those my friend are termites. Shouldn’t have messed with the hops, but I’m by no means an expert.

Good Luck.

[quote=“The Fhunt”]Those my friend are termites. Shouldn’t have messed with the hops, but I’m by no means an expert.

Good Luck.[/quote]

+1 on not being an expert, but those sure look like termites to me. Hope your hops are nowhere near your house…

I was thinking along the lines of Japanese Beetle. Termites, huh? Damn. I’ll need to completely dispose of them regardless.

Yup, they are termites. I just checked some images on the Net and you’re both correct. I was thinking they were Japanese beetles. But, nevertheless, they are termites. So, I’m still at a loss for what killed the plant. I guess it could have been any number of things.

Termites could have eaten the roots

Unfortunately I can tell you from landscaping experience that he is right. We see termites as a more domestic insect nowadays because they love your porch but the roots of a plant are their natural target. These bad boys fell in love with your plant roots and now anything within half a dozen yards isn’t safe. I would do some research on termite control that will still be safe for your other plants.

By the way you may be able to save a rhyzome off that plant still. Just have to find a section that doesn’t have any mini race tracks in it.