Bubbles in Primary

I know that one should not use bubble activity to gauge when to rack to secondary. However, since I have no hydrometer (no longer included in NB Deluxe Kit) I was simply going to leave my first brew (Rogue Dead Guy Ale pitched with WYEAST Pacman yeast) in primary a full four weeks figuring that would be long enough without any real chance of autolysis occurring. I had initially figured the bubbles would have stopped before then but it has now been four weeks and yet I’m still getting bubbles at a rate of 1 bubble / 6-7min. (timed it) How much longer should I wait, regardless of bubble activity, to rack to secondary? Or should I just rack to secondary now? Thanks in advance.

So much for a “deluxe kit” or even a “basic kit”. One of the essential parts of brewing is knowing your OG/FG. To dumb down the kits, and looks like keeping the price the same, is really… um… dumb. A cylinder and hydrometer, IMO, should be in every kit. If you need to raise the price $10 to cover these essential, so be it.

Sorry for the rant. Like so many other things, reduce what you offer but leave the price the same. You see it in almost everything prepackaged in the grocery store. Ice cream, canned goods…

I would guess that the bubbles are just CO2 coming out of solution. It’s possible that you have not reached FG, but not probable.

they’ve got this.

you could probably let it sit longer, but I personally get nervous. if it was me, I’d transfer to bulk age since it’s likely that it’s just CO2 coming out of the beer. you need to get your hands on a hydrometer pronto! if you don’t already have the book, the Mad Brewer Upgrade would be a great deal!

Not that I disagree that a Deluxe kit should have a hydrometer included, but the “new” deluxe kit includes a free beer recipe kit (pick one of 3) instead for the same price so they’re not precisely charging the same for less.

You can let it sit for a while before worrying about autolysis. I’d be a bit more concerned about the fact your primary isn’t finished yet. Should have been done 2-3 weeks ago.

I am quite concerned about this but figured there’s nothing I can do :confused:

I am quite concerned about this but figured there’s nothing I can do :/[/quote]
1 bubble every 6-7 minutes is nothing to be concerned about. my porter sitting in primary has been doing that for a few days. my gravity has not changed in 4 days. my beer is done. I’m willing to bet yours is as well.

I am quite concerned about this but figured there’s nothing I can do :/[/quote]
1 bubble every 6-7 minutes is nothing to be concerned about. my porter sitting in primary has been doing that for a few days. my gravity has not changed in 4 days. my beer is done. I’m willing to bet yours is as well.[/quote]

That’s the info I was looking for (can prob tell it’s my first batch). Thanks!!

no problem! but look into that Mad Brewer package or at least a hydrometer. it is one of the most valuable tools you can own for brewing.

You are correct.

But, if I’m not interested in the 3 choices…

An equipment kit should include the equipment needed to brew beer.

You are correct.

But, if I’m not interested in the 3 choices…

An equipment kit should include the equipment needed to brew beer.[/quote]

The folks at the store were very nice, in my case… they let me substitute a different kit, and just charged me the difference. I don’t know how they’d do that with an internet order. Maybe I’m doubly spoiled living a ten minute drive from the store.

I’ve been looking at hydrometer equipment but many seem to have negative reviews. Now I know people generally only submit a review if they have a complaint but was wondering if I could get some input on which thiefs, hydrometers, and testing tubes everyone likes? I read in one review to just get a turkey baster instead of a thief haha.

A turkey baster works well if you are using pails. They are to short to reach in a carboy.

You could try substituting a 1/2" hose , holding your thumb over one end, to pull the beer out of a carboy.

I don’t have any negative thought on my thief.

Hydrometers are brittle and will break if you’re not very careful with them. But it’s a tool that is absolutely necessary if you care about the science. I can’t imagine what would be negative about a thief. You put it together, cover the hole, and pull out beer…any negative reviews have to be operator error.

I won’t hesitate recommending NB’s equipment. It’s good equipment.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/beer ... meter.html http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brea ... t-jar.html http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/3-pi ... astic.html

[quote=“n00bBrewer”]…but was wondering if I could get some input on which thiefs, hydrometers, and testing tubes everyone likes?[/quote]Skip the hydrometer and go with a refractometer instead - only requires a drop or two of wort/beer for a reading, little chance for misreading, and it won’t commit suicide the first time you leave it unattended on a countertop for five seconds. For readings post-pitch, you will need to use a calculation to account for the alcohol in solution, but that’s a small inconvenience compared to the benefit of being able to stick a stainless skewer into the fermenter to get the beer needed for a reading.