Brown Malt in APA

Wondering if anyone has ever used a little Brown Malt (60L) in an APA. I am thinking something like under 5% just to add a little bit of a nutty flavor. Something like this Experimental batch 3 Gal.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Kinky Boots Pale Ale
Brewer: Quattlebaum
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 4.18 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.18 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs 10.3 oz Pale (2-Row) (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 47.5 %
2 lbs 10.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 47.5 %
4.5 oz Brown Malt (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
0.23 oz Chinook [11.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 21.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 13.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 6 3.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: (208) Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out, Fly
Total Grain Weight: 5 lbs 9.1 oz

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 2.44 gal of water at 166.9 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 2.42 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

I get more roasty than nutty from brown malt. For nutty I’d go with Victory or a portion of Maris Otter. But its your beer and I find relatively few uses for brown malt, in fact my last pound has been sitting for quite some time. I have no problem doing variations on a style I like just for the sake of variety and experimentation.

That is what I do too. Only place I’ve used brown malt so far is in a Mild but if you want to give it a go it is your beer. :cheers:

I used my brown malt for a brown porter I made this last winter that turned out really great but I don’t know if I’d do it in an APA. That said, there’s only one way to figure out if it’s good…

When i’m in the mood for bread nut biscuity ales. I like to use a touch of brown malt along with some victory in my malt driven pales to amber. It may seem redundant to combine brown and victory flavor wise . But it ads color without the Carmel sweetness of crystal or the higher roasty taste of chocolates or blacks. I mostly like the flavor it makes for what I think is a unique beer, one of my more favorite recipes. I call it Biscuit Ale.

I’ve tried it and it works great.
Absolutely no reason to not give it a try for yourself…I’m betting that you may well like the result.

A good rule of thumb: never let the forum talk you out of an experiment. If you do, you may never experience what could be an “aha!” moment with regard to your brew.

What are you calling a touch? 1% of grist? 5%?

I appreciate the feedback. I think i will do 2.5% victory and 2.5% Brown malt. Just not sure if that little of an amount will be noticed in this delightful beverage:) Thanks again. I will post results.

Absolutely right. That’s what this homebrewing thing is all about!

Good advice, although I don’t see where anyone tried to talk the OP out of anything.

I made a Scottish 60 last fall with 4oz brown malt, 2 oz chocolate malt, and a pound of crystal split 12 oz baird’s crastan and 4oz 120L crystal that had a nice nutty flavor. It actually was quite similar to Rogue’s hazelnut brown (
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rogue-hazelnut-brown-nectar/585/
. they use hazelnut extract, but I got a very similar flavor without the extract. my base malt was 3lbs maris otter and 2lbs golden promise.

Very good point, and I didn’t really mean to imply that (although it does seem to happen frequently around the forums, and so is still a good rule of thumb that bears repeating)

The real point of my comment was (to parphrase a very wise man):
“…you’ll never know for sure until you check it out…”
:cheers:

What are you calling a touch? 1% of grist? 5%?[/quote]

About an ounce or two in a 10 to 14 # grist 6 gallon batch.