Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Briess & Muntons Base Malts

I have received a gift certificate to a LHBS that carries an underwhelming selection of products. I’m thinking about getting a sack of grain, but they only carry Briess and Munton’s products. Anyone have feedback on Briess 2-row? What about Munton’s MO? I normally use Rahr 2-row or Crisp MO depending on the style.

Does anyone know what cultivar Briess 2-row is made from?

I asked this same question just a while back about briess vs rahr. The consensus seemed to be that briess is quite bland in comparison to rahr. I bought a bag just to try for myself anyway and brewed my first batch with it yesterday. I can’t speak for munton MO.

I use Munton’s MO at lot, and I think it makes tasty ales. I use it in English, American, and often mix it with pils malt for Belgian styles. The Munton’s will have a lot more character than Briess.

I have a lot of Marris Otter and just bought a sack of Golden Promise. Sadly they only had Briess as the domestic 2 row.

Are the two different British two rows an adequate substitute for domestic brands for IPA’s and Pale Ales? If the British brands have “too much” character, is there a percentage of Briess + Marris Otter = Rahr 2 row?

[quote=“560sdl”]I have a lot of Marris Otter and just bought a sack of Golden Promise. Sadly they only had Briess as the domestic 2 row.

Are the two different British two rows an adequate substitute for domestic brands for IPA’s and Pale Ales? If the British brands have “too much” character, is there a percentage of Briess + Marris Otter = Rahr 2 row?[/quote]
Whether MO or GP are an adequate substitute really depends on what you’re after. They are fine to use instead of US 2-row. Just note that you will get a slightly darker, more “malty” (e.g., biscuity) beer.

If I were sitting on a lot of MO or GP, I would use that. I would just cut back/out specialty malts that tend to add bready, biscuity, nutty, character. For example, leave out the Munich, Biscuit, Victory, etc. My two cents.

What maltster is your MO from?

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“560sdl”]I have a lot of Marris Otter and just bought a sack of Golden Promise. Sadly they only had Briess as the domestic 2 row.

Are the two different British two rows an adequate substitute for domestic brands for IPA’s and Pale Ales? If the British brands have “too much” character, is there a percentage of Briess + Marris Otter = Rahr 2 row?[/quote]

What maltster is your MO from?[/quote]

Pretty sure it is Faucett

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com