Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Brickwarmer

I was planning on brewing the holiday brickwarmer since it seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews and being a fan of Christmas time brews I think it will come out good…my question is…in the magazine it has it listed in one part as being ready in 4 weeks then again as being ready in 6 weeks…not that its a huge difference but what timeframe am i looking at as far as it being ready? 4 or 6 weeks?

I would say that if you keg it would be 4 weeks if you bottle then 6 weeks.

+1 to this

The actual kit says “1-2 weeks primary, 1-2 weeks secondary 1-2 weeks bottle conditioning.”

Following their schedule it seems like you could get it bottles in 2 weeks. I’ve never seen a beer acceptably carbonated after 1 week bottle conditioning though. So depending on how you read that schedule you can get 4-6 weeks for a total, But honestly, I think 1 week in primary would be seriously rushing things. You could probably skip secondary, and get it in the bottles/keg on week 3 if you need to rush it. I’d personally plan on bottling no sooner than 4 weeks.

I brewed a small batch of Brickwarmer a day or two before Thanksgiving, hopeful it would be ready by Christmas. I just last night, Jan. 12, was able to enjoy my first fully carbed 12-oz. bottle of it. Took a while, at least for me, but I like it!

I did not record the date I opened the first bottle. But I brewed on 11/12, bottled on 11/27, was drinking before Christmas. It’s a good brew, darker than most reds, mine was ready in less than six weeks, even fermenting somewhat cool. (It’s around 60 in my basement, used two fermenters)

I brewed this up last year (all-grain) and my version could have used a longer aging period. A friend and I split the batch and he always ends up drinking his share faster than I do. It was his idea to brew this one and in general the beer falls into his tastes (red ale) and he didn’t care for it. I felt the sweet orange peel added at the end of the boil diminishes in the final beer rather quickly so that might be the reason for the 4 week recommendation and why I liked it at the extended age as the late hit of orange mellowed into something more balanced. Your tastes may vary!

+1 to this

The actual kit says “1-2 weeks primary, 1-2 weeks secondary 1-2 weeks bottle conditioning.”

Following their schedule it seems like you could get it bottles in 2 weeks. I’ve never seen a beer acceptably carbonated after 1 week bottle conditioning though. So depending on how you read that schedule you can get 4-6 weeks for a total, But honestly, I think 1 week in primary would be seriously rushing things. You could probably skip secondary, and get it in the bottles/keg on week 3 if you need to rush it. I’d personally plan on bottling no sooner than 4 weeks.[/quote]

This! ^^^^

I recently made this kit and drank it all. So good. Better at the end. I gave it 2.5weeks primary, racked to secondary for 2 more. Bottle conditioned for 2 weeks. It got better at 3 weeks. Best at 4 weeks. I don’t know about 5 weeks in the bottle. It was gut conditioning by then. :slight_smile:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com