Brickwarmer Blowout

I brewed the Brickwarmer holiday Red extract kit this Sunday afternoon and pitched the yeast Sunday evening in my 6.5 gallon carboy. By the time I got home from work yesterday, it had gone crazy and had fermented completely through the blowoff tube into my bucket. :lol: My question now is sanitation from this point on as this is the first time I’ve gotten such an active fermentation.

My other two 5 gallon carboys are both in use so I can’t transfer this to secondary yet. Can I take the tube off, clean it and re-sanitize it and clean out the water bucket and replace everything as it is? Or would I be better off just leaving it until I have a secondary carboy available after bottling this weekend?

I’d put an airlock on it because it has dropped back down but both of those are in use at the moment as well. (seems like I need more gear again :twisted: )

:cheers:
Rad

There is no reason you can’t just leave your blowoff tube on the whole time in primary. All it really is is a giant airlock.

I would take it off, cover the carboy with some tin foil and clean the tubing and reinstall after sanitizing.

Yes, I typically just leave the blowoff hose in place if I’m not transferring to secondary to make room for a new batch. I just wasn’t sure if I should try to clean it up or not. I will try the aluminum foil cover idea, thanks. I’m thinking that hose will be a pain to clean if I leave it for a month in that state. :lol:

Rad

[quote=“Radagast”]I’m thinking that hose will be a pain to clean if I leave it for a month in that state. :lol:
[/quote]

20 minute soak in PBW solution will have it clean as a whistle :slight_smile:

I’m with Matt. Leave it. RDWHAHB. PBW or oxiclean it later 20 min soak in warm water: good to go.

[quote=“Radagast”]Yes, I typically just leave the blowoff hose in place if I’m not transferring to secondary to make room for a new batch. I just wasn’t sure if I should try to clean it up or not. I will try the aluminum foil cover idea, thanks. I’m thinking that hose will be a pain to clean if I leave it for a month in that state. :lol:

Rad[/quote]

The reason I would clean it now is that there is less crud for anything bad to cling to. Sanitize the piece of tin foil, clean the tubing and any connections plus wipe the mouth with a sanitized cloth and you should be fine if you follow proper sanitation. Then you can really relax and have a home brew