Brewing with malt extract

Hello there brewers,

I am used to brewing for distillation, mainly from sugar and fruit juice. I am new to beer brewing. Although I know the basics of brewing with malted grain and hops, I have no idea about using extract. I just received 3.1 lbs of Mallards malts amber malt extract syrup and variety of hop pellets and yeasts (both liquid and dry).

Can someone with experience guide me a little to start my wart. How much water to add to the syrup? boil time,? what kind of hops may be best suited for amber malt etc.

Thanks in advance.
:cheers:

Here’s a good place to start:

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

You might want to go to NB’s 1 Gallon Recipe Kits. Click on “additional Information” and choose “Recipes”. It will give you the step by step process. The 3 lb can of malt extract you have is more conducive to a smaller brew.

+1 Check out any the kits that NB has for sale, they post their recipe and step-by-step guide in .pdf format (which is totally awesome). There steps are easy to follow and may help you a long a little better if you find the specific recipe you’re trying to brew for example, I sometimes design my own recipes but will look at similar style kit recipes for guidance.