Brewing with kids

Having my first child in December of this year. We are being blessed with a little girl. I know it will be a few years before it is feasible to safely brew around a child, but I wanted to get some input from fathers and mothers here who brew with their children around. Does anyone get their children interested in brewing at a young age?

1 Like

My grandson of 10 years. Does help me. He likes it. Does mill the grains. Measure the hops. And helps me racking the beer and dry hop. We did. Make together for him 3 gallon. Malta drink

1 Like

I would think with some of the math, and of knowing of variables, that could be the beginning of an inquisitive child! Congratulations! I trust the Dr. is giving your new child to be, a good health status! :sunglasses: Sneezles61

3 Likes

Congratulations. From my personal experience you will be much more involved with their hobbies and what not to brew much. And that’s how it should be.

1 Like

I brewed with my daughters when they were a bit younger. Once they got interested in other things, brewing go put off for awhile (about 3 years).
Time really becomes so much more precious and so does sleep.
Just be sure to have another adult with you to tend to the baby it the brew
Cheers and congrats!

3 Likes

My 3 yr old has been helping me since he was two. He helps grind, stir, and add ingredients. He loves it and it gives us time together. He told me to make a pumpkin beer so today we did!

1 Like

That’s awesome! I feel like they would love being involved but I dont have any yet so what do I know.

I have four ages 11 - 2 (oldest boy and 3 girls, I’m in biiiiiiig trouble :joy:) and they all wander through during the brewing session and love to help put hops in the kettle when it’s time. My oldest wanted to help with the pumpkin beer last year by dropping the pumpkin in and dropped a piece in from too high above the kettle and got splashed a bit, no fun at all! :pensive: Now he sticks to sniffing the kettle. They also love to watch the carboy washer when I get that out on transfer day as well as the mixstir whirlpool in action for aeration. Once I get the boil timer going we do all sorts of stuff outside, it’s good times. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad