Brewing with friends!

Does any one know…is it legal to setup brew equipment at my house and then share with friends?

With a name like Alberta Storm, I’m going to guess you’re not referring to US laws… There isn’t an issue with it down here though. :wink:

Would it be legal to rent it out?

Rent what, the brewing system or the beverage?

If someone wants to come over and use your equipment and leave you some $$ for water and gas, no harm done.

If you make some beer for someone and the give you $$ for the ingredients, gas and water used. No harm.

Any thing above that would most likely be considered income. And be covered by applicable alcohol production, distribution and sales laws.

What we don’t know and your local/state/federal governments don’t know, wont hurt us/them/you. Until the wrong person finds out.

I strongly caution against brewing with friends present. Let them use your equipment. Use your equipment and talk about it. But, for the love of God, don’t let them come over and watch you brew and share brews. I get so distracted every time this happens that invariably I skip/miss a step out of carelessness, because I’m so relaxed around my friends and having a good time. Mad scientists such as ourselves must be left alone to our work.

HA HA…very good!

I am devoting a 700 sq ft portion of my garage to this…used to be my butcher shop…setup nicely with three compartment sink…metal walls…etc.

I was just thinking in order to justify a 55 gallon rims system …it would be nice if maybe 10-20 or possibly 30 people could brew 40 gal batches,ferment it there as well and keg or bottle…then each take 5 gallons of that batch.

System would be set up always…would be very handy no setting up or putting away.
But if you can only brew 200 gallons at one household…this would be illegal.

I don’t have an issue with this since I run a brewday timer on my laptop while brewing. I have everything lined up in the order it will be added. The timer reminds me of the rest.

I don’t have an issue with this since I run a brewday timer on my laptop while brewing. I have everything lined up in the order it will be added. The timer reminds me of the rest.[/quote]

I think he was being sarcastic!
Or…was…he???

I’d say charging friends for using your apparatus would be OK if there are no health department laws. Selling wort would be the same. Selling beer, even just to recoup costs, is verboten. Of course someone has to find out and even then if you are really small time nobody would probably give a hoot.

There are supposedly lots of brew-on-premises and ferment-on-premises operations in Canada, due to the high tax on liquor.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]I’d say charging friends for using your apparatus would be OK if there are no health department laws. Selling wort would be the same. Selling beer, even just to recoup costs, is verboten. Of course someone has to find out and even then if you are really small time nobody would probably give a hoot.

There are supposedly lots of brew-on-premises and ferment-on-premises operations in Canada, due to the high tax on liquor.[/quote]

Oh yes…us Canadians get nailed on our liquor.
Cheep beer would be $1.5 to $2 per bottle.
Good craft beer $2-$4 per bottle.

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]I strongly caution against brewing with friends present. Let them use your equipment. Use your equipment and talk about it. But, for the love of God, don’t let them come over and watch you brew and share brews. I get so distracted every time this happens that invariably I skip/miss a step out of carelessness, because I’m so relaxed around my friends and having a good time. Mad scientists such as ourselves must be left alone to our work.[/quote]I prefer to brew by myself although I don’t mind when my friends that also brew stop by as they know what’s going on and can lend a hand if needed. Even then though I inevitably get distracted and my brew day ends up lasting an hour or two longer.

I don’t see a problem with this at all. Like others have mentioned it gets iffy when you start taking money above what the cost of ingredients are. Some states do have laws that homebrew is only for household consumption.