Brewing with coconut

I am brewing a toasted coconut porter. I am about to rack into the secondary on top of a pound of unsweetened coconut. Should I use a muslin bag or just put it in the secondary? Anyone with experience would be appreciated.

Masheriff

I would toast it and then put it in a large paper bag and shake it for a couple of days to let the oil soak into the paper. Then I would use a muslin bag, I think it would sink eventually but the bag makes things easy.

My god, what a pain in the A$$. I ended up just puting the beer on top of the coconut. I will report back when I take a sample in a week.

MaSheriff

I racked some wheat onto toasted coconut for an experiment once. It added a nice peanut butter ass taste to the beer. And by nice, I mean horrible. Think I would go for an extract next time. Maybe I toasted too much.

I hope I don’t have that problem. This is an extract kit.

I spoke to the kit maker and he told me to have it sit on a bed of coconut for 3-4 days. I did not pat the coconut with towels, so I will report back when I try it.

MaSheriff

Ive brewed Conconut Porter twice now and its worked VERY well. It seems to be the most popular beer Ive brewed. I brew with a buddy so I cant take all the credit, he came up with the all grain recipe.
Roasted Coconut flakes in a Muslin bag. Add the coconut to a bag thats hung from the bung hole in the carboy. Tie a knot in the bag and drop it in.
Then add the beer.
The coconut bag will float the entire time in the secondary.

Drop 1 lb of coconut through the bung, lol. It was breaking up as I was trying to squeeze it through. If I am going to use a bag next time I will secondary in a bucket.

MaSheriff

I’ve brewed a wheat beer with coconut a couple of times that turned out pretty good.
I used dried unsweetened coconut (no toasting) and tied a small hop sack over the end of the racking cane to prevent any of the coconut ending up in the bottling bucket.

Had a tasting with the toasted coconut porter and everyone liked it! Even the ones who said " its good, and I don’t even like coconut."

MaSheriff

Glad to hear it, now I am gonna have to give it a go.