Brewing suggestion needed

I used to brew on a gas stove for my extract brews from Northern Brewer. I brewed in a 4 gallon pot and started with 2.5 gallons of water for my boil. Since we moved to our new home I have done about 5 beers on an electric stove. It takes about an hour to get my pot up to temp while I steep my specialty grains and what mostly concerns me is that is takes up an additional 45 minutes to get up to boiling AFTER I add my malt extracts before for my first hop addition.

I never had this ramp up issue before and have noticed my brews have been a bit different.

Any suggestions besides “Get a new burner”? My brew days are almost 4 hour stove events counting the 60 minute normal boil.

Thanks.

Divide the water into multiple pots and use all available burners - get the water to a boil before combining it in the main kettle.

Use a bucket heater, or build a hot stick. There are E-brewers that brew in buckets entirely with bucket heaters.

I like the multi burner idea. It will be a hot time in the old kitchen tonight. My electricity meter will be spinning like Clark Griswold’s when he fired up those Christmas lights.

If possible get an outdoor turkey fryer. You can sometimes find them pretty cheap on Craigslist. Plus it won’t heat your house up so much in the summer months.

• sorry, didn’t see where it said “get a new burner”. I would highly suggest a propane burner though. I know my wife was very happy when I got out of her kitchen. :smiley:

Yes, my wife would love that too! Different logistics may be a pain in the ass. I can close off the kitchen from the rest of the house (old house) and open the windows.

[quote=“ebbs81”]If possible get an outdoor turkey fryer. You can sometimes find them pretty cheap on Craigslist. Plus it won’t heat your house up so much in the summer months.

• sorry, didn’t see where it said “get a new burner”. I would highly suggest a propane burner though. I know my wife was very happy when I got out of her kitchen. :smiley: [/quote]

+1. I had the same issue as you. My brew days were SOOOO long. Got a turkey frier setup for $40 at home depot. Came with a 7gal aluminum pot. I now brew all grain (BIAB) and full boils and my brew days are MUCH shorter.

This may not be new to you, but you can cover the wort to help it get up to temperature. Just be sure it’s uncovered while boiling.

Yeah, I cover my pot. The pot is about 2" wider than my largest burner and is very thin metal.

So, I did my broil with ramping up to temp in different pots. Took me 45 minutes between 3 pots to get 3 gallons up to boil. Turned my entire brew day from 4 hours to 2.5 which I’m happy about.