Brewing Software

Beer Smith 2 All the way! Get the add-ons for the grains you use and your all set!

I’ve always done everything by hand, but this thread inspired me to look into software. I signed up for Hopville.com, and I gotta say it’s pretty slick. I loaded in one of my recipes with notes, and I may never go back to pen and paper! Even has a nice print format for taking to the LHBS as a shopping list.

Another Mac user here with limited options. I’m using Beer Tools, surprised nobody else mentioned it. It works really well, has a ton of features and they’ve been providing free updates for years.

That being said, I have nothing to compare it to because it’s all I’ve ever used.

Beersmith - it’s not perfect, but it’s very good and getting better with updates.

Don’t listen to them. I use Mosher’s worksheet (that’s right, manually calculated ON PAPER) and it’s awesome. I make the math easy and use Palmer’s slide rule calculator quite a bit. You’ll have a better handle on how simple adjustments affect your beer by going this route as opposed to a spreadsheet telling you what beer to make.

you do the same thing with software

Same here! :wink: I got it because I had a Mac, but there’s a Windows edition, too, and I’d get it for Windows if that’s what I used at home.

+1 Beersmith

Same here! :wink: I got it because I had a Mac, but there’s a Windows edition, too, and I’d get it for Windows if that’s what I used at home.[/quote]

there is quite a few options for mac, 4 or 5 programs if I remember right

Promash, I’ve been using it for years and it works great. I also use iBrewMaster on my iPod for portability.

What category can you find ibrewmaster under for the ipod?

What a stupid comment. The program doesn’t tell you what to make. You tell the program what you want to make and it does the math for you. And yes, with simple adjustments using a program, you can see how the OG, FG, SRM, IBUs, etc can change. You shouldn’t speak about something you know nothing about.

here here!! Speak on what you know. Don’t bash what someone else does or uses. If it works for them Great if not they will iether figure it out or ask for help. Be nice and dont be such a jerk in responding.

Just do a general search for iBrewmaster and it will turn up. I got it the other day and have had fun plunking around with it, preparing for my first all grain. Easy to use for sure,but I don’t know enough to comment on needed features and such.

i bought the ibrewmaster app on the 5th of this year. like it so far. having trouble though on how to import and export files. the app has in the “more” section that this is possible. i would like to import and export recipes etc in xml format to other software. has anyone figured this out? not working for me yet.

If you already have recipes and are transferring to Ibrewmaster remember to change the default IBU calculations. I have been using Tinseth for years in Promash so I entered a recipe into iBrewmaster with different hops and making sure the IBU’s were the same as my Promash recipe. I didn’t notice it defaulted to Rager so now my black IPA is more of a black pale ale… :roll:

i did catch the change for tinseth. when you transferred your recipes did you import files or do them by hand. similarly i have been trying to export so i can use them in other software. i can send them as an email a but can’t do anything with it or as an attachment which i am not getting anything that can be loaded.

Promash recipes won’t import into the app but I think beersmith recipes are compatible.

I just spent a day transferring my favorite recipes by hand, the app it pretty easy to use so it wasn’t too difficult.

thanks. i am hoping to be able to transfer them to a pc incase i quit using an i phone in the future.

I use Beertools for Windows. I’m really happy with it. They have a free one month trial.