Brewing software

I have and love Pro-Mash but it hasn’t had an update since 2003. My problem is I’m teaching 3 new guys to brew and they are going to have to learn how to makeup recipes and adjustments to their equipment.

Since them trying to learn or use Pro-Mash it would be a waste of their time.

My question is what are most of you using, I know there are a number of different ones but I’m looking at what is the favorite amongst you brewers, to me Beersmith seems to be one of the favorites.

Beersmith 2.0.

I started with Promash and converted all my stuff to Beersmith. I’d skip Beer Tools Pro. I question how they calculate somethings and their interface isn’t terribly intuitive sometimes.

I use beersmith. Have not tried anything else. I am very happy with what I get out of it.

Beersmith 2 is pretty solid and seems to be able to grow with increasing brewing skills.

Started with Beersmith 2 and it’s easily my favorite thing I’ve spent money on in terms of my brewing hobby. Love it!

Another vote for Beersmith 2. Great app. Companion mobile apps are available as well if that’s something that would appeal to them.

I would recommend BeerSmith.

I love StrangeBrew, but just like ProMash, it has not been updated for a lot of years.

Ditto :slight_smile:

Beersmith. It does so many things beyond recipe design. Hydrometer conversions, attenuation calculator, recipe scaling, dialing your systems water needs, just to name a few plus one of the biggest I’ve come to really appreciate is using it to keep inventory. Its insanely easy to use and for me has become as big apart of my brewing as my mash tun. Best 20 bucks I’ve spent

I agree with the above comments…if you’re running WindowsOS, Beersmith is definitely the way to go. That program has evolved nicely since it’s previous version.

For anyone running MacOS however, the edge clearly goes to BeerAlchemy by virtue of it’s superior and far more intuitive user interface.

+1

For the Mac, nothing beats BeerAlchemy. There are nearly quarterly updates to quash bugs and keep up with OS updates.

I run Windows 7 Beersmith it is, lets see if this old dog can learn a new program.
Thanks guys

I’ll also recommend Beersmith 2, but I’m growing more discontented with the lack of regular bug fixing and tweaking, and as others have noted, the interface is severely cluttered. There are quite a few annoyances that have been well noted but have yet to be resolved. The android version of the companion app is also pretty weak; it was clearly (and poorly, imo) ported over from iOS.

I also have mixed feelings about the “cloud storage” portion of Beersmith.

My $0.02; just some measured criticism on Beersmith.

[quote=“Silentknyght”]I’ll also recommend Beersmith 2, but I’m growing more discontented with the lack of regular bug fixing and tweaking, and as others have noted, the interface is severely cluttered. There are quite a few annoyances that have been well noted but have yet to be resolved. The android version of the companion app is also pretty weak; it was clearly (and poorly, imo) ported over from iOS.

I also have mixed feelings about the “cloud storage” portion of Beersmith.

My $0.02; just some measured criticism on Beersmith.[/quote]

I skipped paying for the Android app and got BrewAide, which is free

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... uddy&hl=en

It can sync with Dropbox and while it doesn’t have editing, it has a lot of calculators and you can enter gravities then sync back to your desktop. It also has a timer, which is handy if you’re like me and doing other stuff during the boil.

I do like BeerSmith, but I agree about the interface. It would be nice to hide a lot of stuff I never use.

I did buy BeerSmith I’m not having any problem using it so far so good.

My kids got me ibrewmaster for Christmas and I really like it.

beersmith for me…for the people that are saying bugs are fixed and stuff…well thats just not true Brad is constantly working on the stuff and fixing issues.
You can modify that program to what you want to see for those that think it is cluttered. All the programs that are not cluttered do not have the options beersmith does

So I want one for my Ipad. What is the difference between ibrewmaster and beeralchemy?

bbersmith has an ipad version now

I started with Promash, then got Beersmith 1.0, then Beersmith 2.0. I personally think it’s the easiest thing to use, but there’s lots of opinions out there on all of them and it really boils down to personal preference.

I wonder if the professional brewer version of Promash is updated, because I’ve read of many pro brewers who use it. Just a thought.

On the iPad version of Beersmith, I gotta say I’m a little disappointed. It’s not the same functionality of the full version, but many of the tools work and that is really nice. What I’d really like to do is pick up a cheap Android tablet that will run Beersmith 2.0 and mount it to my brew cart. Full version, notes, etc. right there at the brewery where it should be.