Brewing Software Recommendations?

I use brewersfriend as well. I’ve pulled it up at work a few times to explain things to an interested coworker.

I’m all-in with Brewsmith. I’m using a new Android app called Brewaide to access and display recipes during the brew session. Works great. With Brewsmith’s addition of the Brewcloud, it’s all that I wanted from my brewing software.

[quote=“TG”]“in the next 6 months”

http://promash.com/proboard/index.html

oops, won’t link to the topic. Go into the forums, brewery in general, promash future[/quote]

That post was written in April 2011…

Though from a later post in November 2011 there very well is a possibility he could release an update in the next six months :smiley:

[quote=“Chaz”][quote=“TG”]“in the next 6 months”

http://promash.com/proboard/index.html

oops, won’t link to the topic. Go into the forums, brewery in general, promash future[/quote]

That post was written in April 2011…

Though from a later post in November 2011 there very well is a possibility he could release an update in the next six months :smiley: [/quote]

That’s what I was thinking. I’m guessing we may see something in April of 2015. :lol:

In all seriousness, I loved ProMash and hung with it a long time. But now I’ve converted to BeerSmith and the new ProMash will have to sway me back, not just exist.

I’m doing the same thing. The Brewaide app is coming along nicely. That guy has put a lot of work into it.

Regarding the cloud: I’ve tried it and it’s nice, but I’m still happier using dropbox for that. I just changed my documents directory in BeerSmith to a directory inside my dropbox location on all computers that I use BeerSmith on. By doing that, I have all of my recipes (and inventory, etc…) on any computer I run BeerSmith on.

So, as a result of this thread, I upgraged to BeerSmith (from Beer Tools Pro & BrewMate) and I am much more excited about it. BeerSmith is a much more robust program. Plus, Brewaide is a great companion program.

My question, I can’t find the data directory to BeerSmith. First where is it? So where did you store your files on DropBox. Did you put them in the apps folder so you could find them with BrewAide or what?

So, as a result of this thread, I upgraded to BeerSmith (from Beer Tools Pro & BrewMate) and I am much more excited about it. BeerSmith is a much more robust program. Plus, Brewaide is a great companion program.

My question, I can’t find the data directory to BeerSmith. First where is it? So where did you store your files on DropBox. Did you put them in the apps folder so you could find them with BrewAide or what?[/quote]

I created an empty Beersmith folder inside my Dropbox storage. Then I pointed Beersmith there by choosing “Change Documents Directory” under the File menu. I setup my laptop’s install of BeerSmith the same way, so now they share that dropbox location for recipe/ingredient/inventory files.

Note: Make sure to backup the BeerSmith documents directory in Dropbox before pointing more installs of BeerSmith at it. Every time you Change your Documents Directory to a new location, BeerSmith automatically moves it’s existing files to it. So when you setup a new copy of BeerSmith on a new computer do the following:

1. Backup documents directory that is in dropbox
  2. Change documents directory in new version of beersmith to point at dropbox location on that computer that holds your beersmith docs.
  3. After that is done, shut down all copies of beersmith and replace the dropbox beersmith docs directory with the files in your backup.

BrewAide opens BeerXML files. So what I do for it is export a recipe I want to view in BrewAide to the BrewAide recipe directory in DropBox (I think the actual path is “\Apps\Brew Buddy\Recipes”. Any exported .bsmx file then becomes available to BrewAide. I think the creator of BrewAide created a method for opening the recipe files directly from BeerSmith, but I haven’t bothered trying to figure that out yet.

@Tooth

Thanks man. Good advice. I’ll try it.