Brewing and Football

Ok getting close. Joined a new fantasy league. Anyone brew anything special for football season. I want to come up with a seasonal. Maybe something Amber. Anyone do a football seasonal?

1 Like

Not specifically, but I drink a lot of Oktoberfest during college pigskin games. If you were doing a specific brew for quaffing during a 3-4 hour time period I would think you would want something sessionable, although I am not a fan of session IPAs …I would think lagers, especially American light lagers, Cream ales, dunkels, Vienna, Amber ales would all be good to go…

3 Likes

I was thinking maybe a sessionable Vienna or a mocktoberfest

1 Like

http://www.fermentarium.com/homebrewing/brewing-beer/great-altbier-german-ale/

This looks like what I want. I have some wy1007 working now. I’ll have plenty for a 10 gallon. I’d like to do 15 but can only get two fermenters in the fermenation freezer. I’ll do a second batch after their done. 20 gallons should get me close. I do t have Magnum wondering how nugget would work

I don’t have pilsner or Munich malt left but I do have a 1/2 sack of Vienna. I guess it will be somewhere between the 2 recipes in the article

That sounds great! I think Nugget( and Vienna malt) will both work fine…I wouldn’t have come up with an Alt, but the ABV is fine and it shouldn’t be boring. 500 Lovibond Carafa II for a little darkness to chase off the BMC lite wimps. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Brewing today… A blonde ale… I wasn’t tying it to football, but now that you mention it… It’ll land at 1.050…
8 lbs each MO and Pils…
1 lbs each of victory and wheat
And 12 oz C-40…
I’ve got a variety of hops…
Sneezles61
Pre boil gravity at 1.042 no need for a long boil today…

1 Like

Victory malt. Good idea

Since was waiting for the grainy business… That’s Briess’s answer to biscuit malt… It does contribute another layer for your tongue pick out… With a lighter grainbill, I may have to cut back… Time will tell. Sneezles61

I think 1 lb of Victory will be just fine in 10 gallons. Could be grainy though :joy:

1 Like

I look forward to this time of year myself @brew_cat. I brew a Tired Hands Pineal clone every year for our big fantasy draft party. I put my own little spin on the recipe but it usually only lasts 2 weeks.

Anybody here interested in starting a fantasy league with us forum members? Idea just came to mind and I think it would be awesome.

This is my first time playing. Kind of learning. Our draft is online. I’m brewing a couple kegs Alt for game days. I’ll probably do a IIPA for side bets

Nice. Simple leagues are a great way to learn. I run 3 leagues and usually join 2-3 more each year. Like home brewing it has turned into an obsession. Fantasy gives you a whole different outlook on football, you will root for things you never imagined :joy:

1 Like

That’s what I was worried about. I’m trying to limit my screen time.

1 Like

I know people who only watch red zone or are buried in their phone when the games on. Kind of why I resisted for as long as I did.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what happens! I usually keep the Steelers game on both big tv’s and red zone on the small one.

1 Like

4 MORE DAYS till College Football! woohoo!:football:

German Pilsener should be ready to tap!!

Brewing my Game Day Alt as we speak.

I’m getting nervous about my fantasy draft. Everytime I do a mock draft I end up with a C- roster. Maybe I’ll stick to brewing

2 Likes

Drafted a pretty good team, projected to win for what that’s worth. Game day alt will be in the keg by the end of the week so that won’t be quite ready but close.

1 Like