Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Brewing a saison

Has anyone ever had Victory swing session Saison? http://www.victorybeer.com/beers/swing/

I’m not sure if its a true to style Saison but I really enjoyed and immediately started thinking of brewing something along the same lines for the summer. It was citrusy almost like an IPA with a mild spicy funkiness in the background and no banana/clove flavors which I have never been able to enjoy.

I have no experience with Belgian yeasts, any suggestions? Victory’s website says Belgian yeasts. Initial searches have lead me to think 3724 Belgian saison Is a PIA. The French Saison 3711 seems to be a good fit but I’m not sure.

Love Victory, but have yet to try that beer. BUT I do love Saison’s and brew them often. I really like WY3711 French Saison. It will ferment very, very low. It has extremely high attenuation, so factor that in if you decide to use it. It will routinely ferment down to and under 1.005. I’ve gotten over 90% attenuation from that yeast on numerous occasions.

Recently I’ve also started using Danstar Belle Saison dry yeast. This is also a great Saison yeast. It does ferment extremely well, but not as low as 3711, IMO.

I never used 3724 for the reason you listed. I was actually at a friends house last night and brought him a jar of collected Belle Saison so he could try to jump start a Saison where he used 3724 which stopped at 1.025. Again, I’ve never used it, but I wouldn’t mess with it considering these other 2 fantastic choices. Just my opinion though.

Lot of good information in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=121348

There is no substitute for WY3724/WLP565/Dupont yeast. But it is a b!tch to work with. You have to carefully manipulate fermentation temperature, and even if you successfully do so, you may still have to use another yeast. I heard a podcast with Chris White where he said in no uncertain terms that it was a yeast that should be used IN CONJUNCTION with a brewery’s/brewer’s house yeast.

Love 3711. Like Belle Saison.

You also may consider WLP 566/Saison II, which I understand is a blend of 565 and West Coast Ale yeast, the latter for better activity/attenuation.

Lot of good information in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=121348

There is no substitute for WY3724/WLP565/Dupont yeast. But it is a b!tch to work with. You have to carefully manipulate fermentation temperature, and even if you successfully do so, you may still have to use another yeast. I heard a podcast with Chris White where he said in no uncertain terms that it was a yeast that should be used IN CONJUNCTION with a brewery’s/brewer’s house yeast.

Love 3711. Like Belle Saison.

You also may consider WLP 566/Saison II, which I understand is a blend of 565 and West Coast Ale yeast, the latter for better activity/attenuation.

Exactly my thoughts :cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com