Brewing a pumpkin ale

So I know I probably already messed up by making this pumpkin ale too complex with the gain bill but it is too late now because I just brewed this on Sunday, should have consulted here first.

I guess I am looking for tips on how I can improve this recipe because the first time we brewed it we didn’t get much pumpkin flavor so we added 3 cans this time instead of 2.

I also read online that adding Lactose can give it kind of a creamy note, is it possible for me to boil some up with a little bit of water, cool it and add it to the secondary or is it too late?

The first beer was a little dry and I am assuming that is from the brown sugar but I want to make this a little sweeter (not a lot) and the lactose sounds like it would go well with it kind of like a piece of pumpkin pie with a glass of milk. Any thoughts?

Grain:
Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 7.5 lbs
Briess 6-Row 2 lbs
German Munich Malt 2.5 lbs
Briess Caramel 80 .5 lb
Briess Caramel 60 .25 lb

Hops:
Cluster 1 oz 60 mins

Yeast:
Safale US-05

Extra:
3 – 29 oz cans of Libby’s Pumpkin: 100% Pure in the Mash
.5 lb of Light Brown Sugar (15 mins left in boil, drained some wort and mixed it in for 10 mins before adding)
1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice(15 mins left in boil)
4 - Cinnamon sticks (15 mins left in boil)
½ Whirlfloc tablet (15 mins left in boil)
3 handful’s of rice hauls.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Other than the 6-Row, brown sugar and cinnamon sticks that’s basically the Smashing Pumpkin All Grain kit from Northern Brewer. (The extract kit instructs you to mash the pumpkin with 6-row if you’re going to add real pumpkin.) It’s what I’m brewing in a few weeks. Adding some lactose sounds like a great idea. Has anyone else tried this?

Yeah, I saw that the Smashing Pumpkin from NB got good reviews so I thought I would give it a try, not really sure why I added 6 Row which is not a good excuse, hahahaha.

[quote=“tony269”]So I know I probably already messed up by making this pumpkin ale too complex with the gain bill but it is too late now because I just brewed this on Sunday, should have consulted here first.
I guess I am looking for tips on how I can improve this recipe because the first time we brewed it we didn’t get much pumpkin flavor so we added 3 cans this time instead of 2
THANKS EVERYONE!!![/quote]

Pumpkin is very bland and you won’t get much flavor no matter how much you add. The secret to a pumpkin ale is the spices. With the right spice blend you could leave out the pumpkin altogether and no one would know.

I’m a traditionalist if that were a thing when it comes to pumpkin beers. I always throw a few ounces in the mash for good measure!

I put vanilla bean in the keg