Brewing a Nugget Nectar Clone + Recipe – Tröegs Independent Brewing

Interesting. Probably wouldn’t have been my first choice as an aroma hop…the prominent aroma I get from it on opening is more of the fruity aroma.

I read that somewhere… I wonder if it wasn’t one of the old peeps that was on here that left to do an internship over there… As I recall “when we don’t have Vienna malt its easily substituted with Munich and 2 row mixed together” Conversation… I’ll go look back in time… Sneezles61

Right, it was something I read here. I never paid much mind to it. As far as this recipe the bit of Munich at the end you are basically doing just that though.

Oh yea…

I’ve read that article. My palate and his don’t necessarily agree but I understand the “watered down” comment better now. And I guess to some degree it makes sense. I’ve done all Vienna Vienna Lagers…liked the ones with a little munich in them better.

I’ve only used Dark Munich for years now. 16L. Which could be part of the reason I disagree with the article’s author.

I’m drinking a NN right now and I like it a bit more tonight. Reminds me a lot of Denny’s Waldo Lake Amber. Haven’t brewed an amber in a while. I built a recipe around this grain bill today. Different hops. I’ll post it in a recipe thread if it’s any good.

Also realized tonight looking at old recipes that I have used palisade hops before. I used them in an irish blonde ale a few years ago. Provided a really soft smooth bitterness to the blonde even though I bittered it to the top of the style limit with about 30 IBU. I don’t have notes but I feel like the beer had a pretty powerful malty aroma. Can’t remember much hops aroma but it only had 60 and 15 min additions so it probably wouldn’t have had much.

I just did a lager that was 1/3 Vienna 1/3 Munich 1/3 Pale. I did not hit the IBU to balance however at 28. I’ll work on it a bit more and aim for 38 next time

Me did look at the naked elf recipy. Intresting. Got all the things to brew this.

My last IPA I dropped the crystal completely just 2-row and wheat very nice well received

2 Likes

I’m a fan of wheat in the grain bill instead as well.

I never put crystal in my lagers or saison. Don’t know why it took me so long to drop it from my pales. Still going to use it in my British and amber styles because those are “sweet” beers

2 Likes

29 IBU doesn’t seem all that low for a vienna lager. What’s the OG?

My last VL was 1.054 and 29 IBU. 55% vienna, 28% pils, 17% munich. Upper range of the style for bitterness actually. Early on I thought it needed more bitterness but it aged well and everyone else loved it. Maybe our palates are spoiled by IPAs.

1 Like

Ok maybe I need to be patient. It’s only been in the bottle for 4 weeks

1 Like

“Maybe our palates are spoiled by IPAs.“ this is true