Brewing 2 Batches at the Same Time?

It seems as though time is always the thing that keeps me from brewing more. I brew extract on the stove and usually brew 2 batches at a time, one following the other. I am considering buying a second brew pot and making two batches at the same time. I think with good notes and good organization it should work well…anyone else doing this?

Yes. I brew 10 gallon all grain and brew two batches on the same day. While one is boiling the other is in the mash. Keep good notes so you don’t get confused. Especially if you have a recipe with lots of hop additions. Gets confusing sometimes when you’ve had too many to drink and you have a bunch of friends over.

I’m working on getting another kettle set up so I can get things moving through quicker (and maybe brewing 3 batches in one day).

I used to do that with 4 batches. 2 Burners and 4 7gallon kettles, 2 brew sessions back to back from 1 big mash. The cool part was I could make 4 different beers off 1 mash. Now I run 2 15gal kettles and brew on my 2 burners simultaneously.

Shoot, I do two 20 gallons batches at a time when I get a little low and need to refill the pipeline. I stagger one batch about 90 minutes behind the other so I can keep enough strike and sparge water heated. Not a good time to be drinking or entertaining though.

Mr. Brau, you either have one hell of an appetite or a tremendously thirsty audience! Who are the lucky peeps who help drink your brew that gets you to make ginormous batches?

I brew on the stove, with extract pot, so two batches are necessary for a full 5 gallons. I too have one in the boil phase while the second is in the mash (90min). I almost always finish the boil/cooldown of the first before I begin my sparge on the second. Once or twice I’ve been a little slow, so my 2d mash may be 10-15 minutes longer than planned but that has not impact on the product.

Two mashes, two boils, two cooldowns do make for a longer day, but it’s all good.

:cheers:

I do all grain, 3 tier system and start a second mash when I get the first boil underway. One thought of caution in regard to doing two extract batches on the stove at the same time is simply the fact that you are generating a LOT of heat at that point - can your stove (what is above your stove) handle it?? That would be my #1 concern.

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Mr. Brau, you either have one hell of an appetite or a tremendously thirsty audience! Who are the lucky peeps who help drink your brew that gets you to make ginormous batches?[/quote]We entertain a lot in the basement pub so our neighbors don’t have to drink and drive.

I do 25 gallon batches but sometimes I do a parti-gyle, I will make 10 gallons of a belgian tripel and 20 gallons of a belgian farmhouse off of the same mash so I end up with 2 different style beers.

I also stagger two 10gal batches in the same day from time to time. Works out well and gets me caught up.

When I brewed extract I would frequently brew two, 5-gallon concentrated wort boil batches in the evening after work. I would stagger the batches about 20 minutes apart so that the first would finish chilling just as the second batch was coming to the end of the boil. I used a 4-gallon and a 5-gallon pots.