Brewing 1 gallon to 15 gallon's

I want to experment making several batches in 1 gallon containers so I don’t waste 5 gallons if I don’t like it. I can figure out the recipe for small or larger batches but what about boil times?

thanks

boil times are all the same, but just use a small pot for the small batches. Pot size is directly related to boil-off rate…at least that’s what the webernet says.

:cheers:

I guess I don’t get it. I have a 6 1/2 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches. 60 to 75 minute I boil off 1 to 1 1/2 gallons. If I used the same pot for 1 gallon batch I would need 2 gallon or so for 60 minutes.

Some people use 15 gallon pots for 5 or 10 gallon batches same boil time. As you can tell I’m knew and don’t get boil times related to batches if one were to use the same size pot.

[quote=“bela”]I guess I don’t get it. I have a 6 1/2 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches. 60 to 75 minute I boil off 1 to 1 1/2 gallons. If I used the same pot for 1 gallon batch I would need 2 gallon or so for 60 minutes.

Some people use 15 gallon pots for 5 or 10 gallon batches same boil time. As you can tell I’m knew and don’t get boil times related to batches if one were to use the same size pot.[/quote]

the boil times are the same regardless of size because it takes approximately 60 minutes for the boiled wort to do its magic to make beer. All I was getting at with respect to pot size was basically this:
If your boil off rate is 1.5 gallons for 75 minutes and you want 1 gallon post-boil, then yes you’d start with 2.5 gallons of wort before the boil so after boiling off 1.5 gallons you’d have your desired 1 gallon.

But, if you use a smaller pot, with say 0.5 gallon boil off rate, then you’d only need to start with 1.5 gallons of wort before the boil.

sorry, wasn’t trying to make anything confusing.

Cheers.