Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Brewday Hazards - Forgot to aerate

Yesterday I performed my first two step infusion mash, which I was a littler nervous about. First time brewing a Witbier.

The first step leveled out at 129–warmer than target, but still within range. Then after I added the second infusion for the sach. rest, my thermometer probe
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109024
crapped out, so I was unable to get accurate readings inside the mash. I think my second step occurred at around 147. Obviously low, so the final product will end up drier than planned. RDWHAHB, right?

Well immediately upon waking this morning I realized that I forgot to aerate when I pitched last night! Crap! The batch already had about a 2" krausen when I ran downstairs to check. I went ahead and gave it a good minute of O2. Did I do the right thing or did I miss the window by not doing it at pitching?

What was the OG? Did you splash the wort into the fermenter? You’re probably fine, especially since you have a very fermentable wort and it’s probably a lower gravity beer.

1.048 OG. Used a 1.2L starter with stir plate.

I’m sure a good amount of air got diffused into the wort when I transferred from the kettle to the primary, because I used dual strainers to filter out solids while transferring. But the wort sat in the primary for a couple hours before I pitched.

You had active fermentation. Why would you add O2?

Sometimes it is better to do nothing than to do something. :wink:

[quote=“Nighthawk”]You had active fermentation. Why would you add O2?

Sometimes it is better to do nothing than to do something. :wink: [/quote]

Fair question. There was clearly enough O2 to begin fermentation, but I wanted to ensure there was enough to sustain adequate growth and healthy fermentation to prevent under-attenuation/stuck fermentation. Perhaps I overreacted, but didn’t seem like it would cause any harm (sans infection from aerating, but I’m pretty careful about that).

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-3.html

Thanks for the link. Hopefully I got to it early enough in the process that any effects are minor. I aerated 7-8 hours after pitching. I continue to be amazed by the ability of yeast to clean up beer during the conditioning phase.

I’ll definitely remember to aerate at pitching from now on!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com