Brew station cold & hot water plumbing

I am new to this forum but have browsed and got so much information. I am in the process of upgrading my brewing station I wanted to plumb from my hot and cold water faucet that my washer and dryer use. I can easily use a Y like you would get for a garden hose but from there I wasn’t sure what to do to run the lines to my brewing area. I know I could just hook a garden hose to it but I wanted it to look nicer and be run along the wall and be able to be controlled on and off from the wall it’s about 10’ away from the faucets. I don’t know what kind of tubing or pipe to use and what kind of fittings I need. I know nothing about plumbing. Any help would be greatly appreciated I’m stumped right now.

The simplest option is to run something like PEX with snakebite fittings to a faucet near where you want to brew. You could put a utility tub there or just simple water spigots like on the outside of your house. Here’s a link but if you just go to home depot plumbing department and tell them what you want to do they’ll point you in the right direction. You may have to ask a couple of times and demand to get a plumbing guy but there is someone there who knows.

This is an unfinished basement right? Or at least an area near the sump pump? If not you probably want to hire someone.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pip ... 5yc1vZbuty

Thanks for the reply. Do you know what the difference is between using pex tubing and silicone tubing I found on northern brew ?

Not trying to be a d!ck but if you don’t know the difference between those 2 its prob best to hire a plumber. The last thing you need is to pay extra money for emergency plumbing services.

Well if I have an emergency the worst that will happen is I have to sweep water out of my garage door 5’ away. I know silicone tubing can handle high heat I also know some tubing release chemicals when heated by hot water. That was my main worry

Danny is spot on. Pex is pretty much the standard nowadays for residential water. Totally sanitary and tolerant of high heat-no leaching. And the snakebite fittings (haha, down south here we have sharkbites) make things super easy. No need for any specialized tools. You can even get snakebite/sharkbite valves too. The pipe is flexible-almost as easy to run as electrical wiring.
Just make sure you get your water turned off before cutting a line.

Also, the snakebite/sharkbite connectors will work with pex, copper and cpvc, but NOT galvanised pipe. That transition would take at least 1 solder joint.

You can probably do this on your own, just be prepared to buy plenty of pipe clamps to secure the lines. And , if your water shutoff is not near your new lines, have someone watch while you turn the water back on in case there’s a blowoff (you have to be careful that the pipes “bottom out” in the connectors- if not, they can blow loose).

Good luck,

Ron

[quote=“Frenchie”]Danny is spot on. Pex is pretty much the standard nowadays for residential water. Totally sanitary and tolerant of high heat-no leaching. And the snakebite fittings (haha, down south here we have sharkbites) make things super easy. No need for any specialized tools. You can even get snakebite/sharkbite valves too. The pipe is flexible-almost as easy to run as electrical wiring.
Just make sure you get your water turned off before cutting a line.

Also, the snakebite/sharkbite connectors will work with pex, copper and cpvc, but NOT galvanised pipe. That transition would take at least 1 solder joint.

You can probably do this on your own, just be prepared to buy plenty of pipe clamps to secure the lines. And , if your water shutoff is not near your new lines, have someone watch while you turn the water back on in case there’s a blowoff (you have to be careful that the pipes “bottom out” in the connectors- if not, they can blow loose).

Good luck,

Ron[/quote]

Snakebite! hahaha…yea they’re sharkbites here too. Don’t know where that came from.

Virginia is the south too Ron. Still below the Mason Dixon Line. :cheers:

Ok sounds like the best option I’m down the street from Home Depot so I like that I can go match everything up. Thanks for all the help greatly appreciated

Sorry, Danny. I’m a language guy, so I guess I divide north and south in my mind more by accent. You Virginia guys don’t talk funny like we do. Stopped in Harrisonburg a few years ago to eat and I had to translate for the waitress. She couldn’t understand my mom! LOL

:cheers:

Ron