Brew pot

So all I have left on my list to start all grain brewing is a pot.
What size to you guys recommend, I will mostly do 5gal batches but want the capability to do ten. Great deal on amazon for a 60quart for 55 bucks or a 80quart for a few bucks more. I plan on getting a ball valve installed on it, so I was thinking having a bigger bottom (80qt) might be better for whirlpooling? or just stick with the 60qt

O ya I just got the Bayou classic sp10 for my burner, if that info helps.

If you want the ability to do 10 gal batches, just commit to it now and buy a 15 gal pot.

For the few dollars more, go with the biggest you can get. I highly recommend a tri-clad bottom with the aluminum in between the stainless.

Fifteen gallons should work out fine and I would assume that would be enough surface area on the bottom to whirlpool.

For a ten gallon finished batch size, a 15 gallon pot is just barely large enough. It can be done, but be ready for boil overs. A 20 gallon pot is totally worth it for “a few more bucks”.

[quote=“thecarrclan”]So all I have left on my list to start all grain brewing is a pot.
What size to you guys recommend, I will mostly do 5gal batches but want the capability to do ten. Great deal on amazon for a 60quart for 55 bucks or a 80quart for a few bucks more. I plan on getting a ball valve installed on it, so I was thinking having a bigger bottom (80qt) might be better for whirlpooling? or just stick with the 60qt

O ya I just got the Bayou classic sp10 for my burner, if that info helps.[/quote]

I am a firm believer in “you get what you pay for”. Everybody’s budget is different. I know I will never brew larger than 5 gallon batches, I bought a 15 gallon stainless pot with a ball valve and a thermometer and a false bottom. I would not even consider buying a pot without the ball valve. I will say it was not cheap. Be sure to buy a pot with a tri-clad bottom. Make the investment, get a good pot. I would not go smaller than a 15 gallon. If you are doing 10 gallon batches then by all means get a 20 gallon pot.

Just agreeing with others, if you’re going to do 10 gallon batches get a 20 gallon pot. Really nice not having to worry about a boil over.

Thanks for the replies, and yes I will go with the 20gal. I will mostly do 5gal batches but I might get a wild hair and want to do a 10.

+1 for the 20gal for 10 gallon batches.

A lot of my 10 gallon batches start out as 14.5 gallons in the boil kettle. With my keg kettles I’m topped out and always having to tightly manage the start of the boil and can’t have it vigorous for a while.

Just ordered a 20gal brew pot after 9 years of messing with the keg kettles.

Just reinforcing the 20 gallon pot suggestions. I find my self really babying 10 gallon batches in a 15 gallon pot. Many times I just pull off 2 gallons & start that on the stove and then merge the two half way through the boil.

Additionally, look for a pot that is taller than wider. I’ve seen some really wide pots in the 15-20 gallon range. The problem with them is you get a lot more evaporation due to more exposed surface area. You may have to pay more for a taller pot but it will be worth it in the long run. Cheers!!!

I have kegs for kettles. I mostly brew 5-gallon batches, so they work great. They work well for 10-gallon batches, too if I’m careful about watching for boil-overs. I totally get the argument for a 20-gallon pot for 10-gallon batches but I only do a few 10-gallon batches through the year so, for now anyway, it’s tough to justify a bigger pot.

I think you are making the right call going with the 20gal over the 15gal. I recently upgraded from keggles to 25gal pots and couldn’t be happier.