Brew Pot -vs- Keggle

I started brewing in a 7.5 gallon SS turkey fryer. I then made a keggle and used that for about the past 4 years. Last year I bought a Blichmann floor burner and got the NG kit. I didn’t notice a big difference between propane and NG with the keggle. Then a couple week ago we had so many tomatos we decided to can some. I pulled out my aluminum turkey pot to boil the cans on my floor burner. I was surprised how fast the water came to a boil. This mand me start looking at a new brew pot. I was able to find a great deal on a G1 Blichmann 10 gallon pot. I used it for the first time last night and found it heats up MUCH faster than the keggle did and at a lower NG flow setting. Just wanted to share this because I see many threads of brew pot versus keggle.

Mike

Good info Mike. Kegs weren’t designed to use as a brew kettle but were designed to be tough so I would assume the thickness of the SS is part of the reason it takes longer to get the wort boiling. I used nat gas for a few years but found that the lower pressure could not compare to LP for heat when going to a larger (20 gallon) system so now I drag the LP tanks back and forth again.

[quote=“HD4Mark”]Good info Mike. Kegs weren’t designed to use as a brew kettle but were designed to be tough so I would assume the thickness of the SS is part of the reason it takes longer to get the wort boiling. I used nat gas for a few years but found that the lower pressure could not compare to LP for heat when going to a larger (20 gallon) system so now I drag the LP tanks back and forth again.[/quote]Interesting about LP vs NG. I’ve been on NG for many years on a 20-25 gallon system. Burners are 58,000 BTU and seems fine. It heats up at a rate of 2 degrees per minute.