Brew kettle Recommendations

I live in New York City, thus assume apartment space is limited. I also have several other “urban homesteading” hobbies and I’m trying to get my gear as consolidated as possible. Right now I have a very cheap, exceptionally thin walled, 20 quart stainless steel pot that I’m none to happy with. I also just wore out my boiling water bath canner (inherited with with rust already showing through the enamel).

All in all, it seems like a good time to upgrade.

Ideally I was looking to drop a decent chunk of change on a 23-25Qt pressure canner. I was thinking stainless steel, but I can’t seem to find one in the stainless steel variety - tons of aluminum model’s, but all the stainless seems to be in the 10-12Qt range.

So, my questions are:

A) Is it really OK to brew in Aluminum? Like, really, really? I know this argument rages on, but I just want to know I won’t regret this in a few years.
B) Does anyone else have a similar cross-over with brewpot, stockpot, pressure canner? Do you encounter any issues with it?
C) Are there any specific models you would recommend or say to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

–Sam

I use an aluminum turkey fryer pot. No issues for me.

[quote=“samtresler”]I live in New York City, thus assume apartment space is limited. I also have several other “urban homesteading” hobbies and I’m trying to get my gear as consolidated as possible. Right now I have a very cheap, exceptionally thin walled, 20 quart stainless steel pot that I’m none to happy with. I also just wore out my boiling water bath canner (inherited with with rust already showing through the enamel).

All in all, it seems like a good time to upgrade.

Ideally I was looking to drop a decent chunk of change on a 23-25Qt pressure canner. I was thinking stainless steel, but I can’t seem to find one in the stainless steel variety - tons of aluminum model’s, but all the stainless seems to be in the 10-12Qt range.

So, my questions are:

A) Is it really OK to brew in Aluminum? Like, really, really? I know this argument rages on, but I just want to know I won’t regret this in a few years.
B) Does anyone else have a similar cross-over with brewpot, stockpot, pressure canner? Do you encounter any issues with it?
C) Are there any specific models you would recommend or say to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

–Sam[/quote]

A what argument?
B no keep my brewing pot for brewing
c NO-tons of different options so it will depend on what type of system you plan on having

[quote=“grainbelt”]

A what argument?
c NO-tons of different options so it will depend on what type of system you plan on having[/quote]

A) This argument:

http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/157642 http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-alu ... les-49449/

– Although it appears the off-flavors thing is a myth…

Hrm, but I think I’m safe going Aluminum - now to find a good deal on a pressure cooker. Thanks!

[quote=“samtresler”]-- Although it appears the off-flavors thing is a myth…[/quote]It’s not a myth - if you make wort in an unseasoned aluminum kettle, you could end up with a metallic taste. Season the kettle simply by filling it with water and letting it sit overnight and clean only with a soft cloth and you won’t have an issue.

[quote=“samtresler”][quote=“grainbelt”]

A what argument?
c NO-tons of different options so it will depend on what type of system you plan on having[/quote]

A) This argument:

http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/157642 http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-alu ... les-49449/

– Although it appears the off-flavors thing is a myth…

Hrm, but I think I’m safe going Aluminum - now to find a good deal on a pressure cooker. Thanks![/quote]

there is no argument it has been hashed over and over for years, it is fine to use

ive been using an aluminum pot for a long time.never had an issue. i just bought a turkey fryer with a 7.5 gal aluminum pot. boiled water in it the other day to season it from what ive read. made my first full boil batch yesterday. both my old pot and the new one do have a charcoal color on the inside after the first use.

For years I’ve only brewed in stainless steel kettles but since I’ve moved down to only 3 gallon batches and I want to try brewing in a bag my pot says it’s 5 gallons but is only about 4 1/2 gallons, OK for extract but not for AG.

It’s not big enough to brew in a bag in so today I found a 30 qt aluminum kettle only with a basket at Menard’s for $30 I’ll give that a try.

I could kick myself for selling all my kettles I had an 8 gallon Mega-Pot with a welded spout and my wife would like to plant one on me for having to spend more money buying equipment.

If I can save as much time as they say it will be great.