Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Brew Kettle Question

I am prepping for my first all grain brew day. For my brew kettle I am using a recycled Sanke keg. I installed a dip tupe that drops down and forms a half circle with slots in the tubing. Surrounding this I have a stainless braid so as to help with a filtering out some of the hops. My question/concern is, am I actually inviting my self to clogging and should I consider raising the half circle by maybe an inch? I am brewing Sunday so I do have the time to make a modification.

Yes, from what I have pictured, I believe it will clog. You would be better off with an open end on the copper tube and then make it terminate near the outer area of the keg. All the hops and trub will form a cone in the center (unless you use an immersion chiller). An IC will cause cold break to form inside the keg along with the hops and trub and make it very difficult to form a cone shaped pile in the center. I prefer to chill with a CFC outside of the keg. Here is a picture of mine.

What Greg said! Here’s mine…whole hops go in a bag, pellets go in loose…

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/dennyconn/media/DSCN0568.jpg.html

I use an IC and I still get a cone of hops, the trub settles flat though. I just position my pickup tube about an inch of the bottom of the kettle and this keeps it out of the trub. I can get all the free wort by tipping the kettle when it gets really low and you cna see the trub vs the clear wort. A keg is nice becaus eit has the rounded bottom, this naturally concentrates the trub and hops.

Thanks guys. I spent a bunch of time building my contraption and go figure it’ll probably ruin my day. Glad i asked. Well i’ll use the ring i built to build a sparge arm then. Muller, how the heck you get such a tight bend, or is that a 90? Mine will end up looking more like Conn’s!

Is there any problem with using irish moss if you use a cfc? Like you said, it sounds like the cold break is likely to occur in my carboy. Should i just skip using it?

[quote=“mppatriots”]Thanks guys. I spent a bunch of time building my contraption and go figure it’ll probably ruin my day. Glad i asked. Well i’ll use the ring i built to build a sparge arm then. Muller, how the heck you get such a tight bend, or is that a 90? Mine will end up looking more like Conn’s![/quote]It is a 90

[quote=“mppatriots”]Is there any problem with using irish moss if you use a cfc? Like you said, it sounds like the cold break is likely to occur in my carboy. Should i just skip using it?[/quote]No problem using Irish Moss. I would always use either it or Whirlfloc.

You can also use a straight length of copper tubing and a 90* street elbow

[quote=“Wahoo”]You can also use a straight length of copper tubing and a 90* street elbow[/quote]That’s what I did and what I was showing in my picture.

I recently got some stuff for beer brewing mash tun and am a bit stuck with one of the elements.Basically i have 2 separate elements one in a tube the other in a tank the one in the tube has a thermocouple and PID ,the other element in the tank would it need its own seperate PID and Thermocouple? Both have the heat sink and relays
thanks a bunch

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com