Brew in a bag?

This is becoming pretty consistent for me as well. My only problem with BIAB is that my 8 gallon pot, on the stove, only has 2 inches of clearance before it encounters our over-range microwave. My wife is not going to let me get rid of the microwave to do larger volumes haha.

3 Likes

Need a new wife then? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: She has to be a great gal to allow you to do your brewing in a small apartment… I’ll brew next W/E and take some pictures… Show you what I use… Sneezles61

She’s the best. She cleared out one of only two closets we have exclusively for my brewing. She did it unasked one weekend while I was at work. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Same here, no basements in Florida. Garage too hot for storing anything you actually want to use again. So I’ve got part of two closets, temporary status in one bedroom, and the guest bath/ shower is full of clean bottles, coolers, keg supplies, etc. She is very tolerant of my hobby, and likes my less bitter products, last night,“can I have this much of a lager?”, my answer hell yeah!

My recipes are also formulated at 80% efficiency for BIAB with a sparge. I recently opened the gap in my grain mill a bit to lower my efficiency and make it more predictable. Only reason to really care about the efficiency numbers is for consistency.

It’s nice to get to a point where your system and process are dialed in and consistent.

Sometimes I’m not as careful about strike volume as I should be so if my mash efficiency is off it’s usually because of that.

That is my problem also, along with designing a 12 gallon batch… you know…trub, sampling, and to get a FULL 5 gallons into each keg… HINT HINT :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Sneezles61